Correction of horizontal deviation?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Onetruereddot

Correction of horizontal deviation?

#1 Post by Onetruereddot »

My left jaw is overgrown compared to my right. This results in my jaw midline being 9mm deviated to one side. Is it possible to correct this through surgery, I'm asking because 9mm seems like a lot.

PierreDeFermat

Re: Correction of horizontal deviation?

#2 Post by PierreDeFermat »

Yes, a "cant" is one of the more common reasons a person would undergo orthognathic surgery. Your case would be considered moderate.

You will most likely need bimaxillary surgery (surgery on both the upper and lower jaw) and a period of braces before, during, and after surgery.

I suggest you search the forums for other cases of maxillary canting and facial asymmetry and consult a board-certified maxillofacial surgeon.

Best of luck

Onetruereddot

#3 Post by Onetruereddot »

[quote=PierreDeFermat post_id=504188 time=1535138311 user_id=31191]
Yes, a "cant" is one of the more common reasons a person would undergo orthognathic surgery. Your case would be considered moderate.

You will most likely need bimaxillary surgery (surgery on both the upper and lower jaw) and a period of braces before, during, and after surgery.

I suggest you search the forums for other cases of maxillary canting and facial asymmetry and consult a board-certified maxillofacial surgeon.

Best of luck
[/quote]

Excuse me if I'm mistaken but I thought that a "cant" was the tilting of the angle between the two sides. Though I do I have one side a little bit higher, the major problem is the deviation to one side. Is just a horizontal deviation also called as a "cant"?

Sarah96

#4 Post by Sarah96 »

Are you talking about your lower jaw or upper jaw? Or both? Sometimes chin is off center too.
As far as I know it can be corrected. If your jaw is off center they'll move it to make it more symmetrical with your overall features. But I don't know if they can make it 100% symmetrical.