Are my teeth straight?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ruby77

Re: Are my teeth straight?

#16 Post by Ruby77 »

I've changed my mind, I don't like my new teeth! I actually feel like I have a massive overbite, more than I did before and the teeth are slightly flared on, particularly on the bottom.

What do you all think please?

https://ibb.co/fMTfne

https://ibb.co/mMB0ne

https://ibb.co/mY4QLz

assertives

#17 Post by assertives »

That tooth sticking out is actually not obvious to me. As for your bite, I think it will still continue to settle after getting your braces off, so hopefully it gets more comfortable then. I think your ortho could also make some minor adjustments with the retainer, so do bring it up to him. Anyways, congrats on getting your braces off!

Ruby77

#18 Post by Ruby77 »

Ok, thanks for your comments. I'm going to pick up my retainer next week so I will definitely mention my concerns.

I think maybe I just need to get used to my new smile, all feels very weird!

kplatt2010

#19 Post by kplatt2010 »

Get the bite right before you get them off or as close as perfect as it can be. The teeth look great but the bite is important so you don't eat your cheek when your chewing and your mouth naturally closes when you are relaxed.

I'm in the fine tuning stage and I'm wondering if at the end, when my mouth is closed will my jaw be closed? Right now; my mouth is closed when I'm not talking. However; my teeth are not completely touching.

You've gone through it this far and your close to the finish but make sure it's right.
Karla

Ruby77

#20 Post by Ruby77 »

They are already off!! The bite definitely isn't right but I couldn't tell that before I had them off.....very frustrating.

Ruby77

#21 Post by Ruby77 »

So this is my bite on one side, tell me that's not completely f*cked.. excuse my French.
https://ibb.co/dGvqCp

Can that be fixed with the retainer? I'm actually quite angry he's left me like that and thinks that's acceptable!

assertives

#22 Post by assertives »

Is that your natural bite at rest? If yes, then it does look like you have a bit of an open bite at the side. Was your bite like this before or even during braces? Maybe there was a relapse during this time when your braces are off. I would suggest you go back to your ortho and have him assess it.

Ruby77

#23 Post by Ruby77 »

That is my natural bite yes and wasn't like this before braces.

It was like that with braces on but I had bite blocks on my teeth so thought it was to do with that. So the orthodontist took my braces off, knowing my bite was like that, why would he do that??

I'm going to get my retainer this week so I will raise it but I really do not trust his ability now.

Ruby77

#24 Post by Ruby77 »

In addition, my bottom front teeth hit the inside of my top front teeth when I eat. I think this is because the bottom teeth are flared. What a mess!

assertives

#25 Post by assertives »

Ruby77 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:54 am In addition, my bottom front teeth hit the inside of my top front teeth when I eat. I think this is because the bottom teeth are flared. What a mess!
Hmm. What do you mean by your bottom teeth hitting the inside of your top front teeth? Are they hitting your gums? If they are not, then it is actually normal. In a normal bite relationship for the front, the top teeth are supposed to overlap the bottom. I have read that anywhere from 2 to 4mm is considered normal range. As for the vertical overlap, the top teeth should cover about 1/3 of your bottom teeth.

Ruby77

#26 Post by Ruby77 »

No they aren't touching the gums but the teeth are clashing. Don't see how that can be good for the teeth in the long run?

assertives

#27 Post by assertives »

I actually am kind of facing a similar problem too, and I think it's because I haven't had a normal bite all my life, so my jaw has kinda grown accustomed to moving forward a certain way/amount to compensate for my overbite so much so that now that now that my upper front teeth has come in, my lower jaw still clashes hard against the top teeth, extending past them like an underbite.

My ortho told me that I need to train my lower jaw to now work with this new reduced distance when I bite into food. I'm wondering maybe you are just not used to your new bite? I found a short clip on how a normal bite should be here. https://youtu.be/r13IZK3D_n0

Does yours look like this for your front teeth? In any case do bring this up to your ortho as well. Hopefully you'll find a good resolution.

Ruby77

#28 Post by Ruby77 »

Looking at that video, my bite is way off all over!

Think I may have a battle on my hands here, surely no decent orthodontist would take the braces off with a bite like this!