How’s everyone braces life going ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

juliaarnold

How’s everyone braces life going ?

#1 Post by juliaarnold »

so a lot of this stuff is just questions so I wanted to make a post where everyone can just reply with how everything is going with their braces !!

I got my ceramic braces on March 6, so pretty recent. The third most recent time that I went in for a tightening I ended up getting rubber bands on both sides to fix my underbite, which now I only have to wear them on the right side. And last time I went in i got a power chain on my top row of teeth . So things are going pretty great for me, and I notice a huge difference! Only problem is one of my front teeth are coming down lower than the other, so that bracket needs to be adjusted...

how’s everything going with you guys ?

r1r1r12000

Re: How’s everyone braces life going ?

#2 Post by r1r1r12000 »

Great!

I got metal braces in September, 2016, so I'm coming up on 2 years braced. I've had some delays closing a space, but with regular rubber band use, it finally closed! We are rotating a front tooth, and then the braces will come off. I've seen huge changes in my teeth!

AutymGrace

#3 Post by AutymGrace »

Hey there!

I got my braces on June 5th, 2018. I had my first adjustment 2 weeks ago and also received headgear. The headgear pretty much always leaves me with pain and weird sensations in my mouth. Besides that, it's insane how much of a difference just 7 weeks with braces can make. I've already seen a gap forming where a canine has to come down on my teeth, and the tooth that was behind it is almost completely aligned with the rest of my teeth. Keeping motivation to not have popcorn is my killer though :shock:

See you around the forum,
-Autym
See you around the forum!
-Autym

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

I'm currently slightly over a year into my treatment. My extraction gaps have closed and my ortho is working on fixing my deep overbite now. This phase of fixing my deep overbite have been the most painful and draining. I also have class 2 elastics at the moment and my work in progress bite is awkward right now. There are a couple of asymmetries with some teeth positions that is driving my ocd mind crazy, but apart from that, everything else seems to be going well.

jwbraces

#5 Post by jwbraces »

I'm a newbie here and almost 4 weeks into my treatment. I currently have only the tops as my ortho said there is not yet room for the bottoms. I have mild crowding and an overbite. So far things have been great! I was expecting the worst, but really I've only had some mild sensitivities and sticking to soft foods has mitigated the issue when necessary. I've already noticed my teeth moving. My front two teeth are being pulled outward and small gaps are forming, which means the crowding is getting better! I look forward to flossing every night as I can really see/feel the differences when I floss. At first it was really hard to get floss between my teeth but space is being created somehow as now it's very easy and some small gaps are forming! I'm looking forward to my first adjustment in 9 days.

dreamin2day

#6 Post by dreamin2day »

not great, I really wanted to get these braces off before school starts but orthodontist is delaying things :(

EmilyTravels

#7 Post by EmilyTravels »

A little nerve-wracking at the moment. In two weeks I will have had my braces for one year. I know that's not long for many on here, but my ortho initially estimated 8-10 months when examining my teeth ahead of time. When I signed my contract, it said 8-14 months, but I figured they were just covering themselves. They set me up on a 12-month payment plan, so I always thought one year was probably the most realistic timeframe for removal and that 8-10 months was overly optimistic.

Well, I'm definitely not getting them off in two weeks. I talked to my ortho last time, and he going to shoot for sometime in September. He didn't say so, but I think my teeth are just slower to move than he expected, probably due to my age (50s). He is used to dealing with kids more, and their teeth move so much faster! He is doing all kinds of finishing things now, like bends in the wires, to try to get things finished up, but not sure either of us will be totally satisfied even a month from now.

Normally I wouldn't care; hell, I'd rather be in braces for 18 months if it meant perfect teeth -- BUT, with the one year timeframe in mind, I already made travel plans in October and November. So, I really have to get them off next month in order to be able to get my retainers before my travel.

I just hate the way this has turned out, as I didn't intend to rush the process, but due to hefty travel deposits made, and a minor surgery scheduled for my husband out of state, I really can't change my plans without losing a lot of $$. I wish my ortho had been more realistic upfront, and that I had planned for the maximum of 14 months (although I did allow for 13 months).

I should also add that in June I asked him if I was on track to get them off this summer, and he said yes. I guess technically most of September is still summer, but I don't think he meant that at the time. Sigh! :crazy:

cbraces678

#8 Post by cbraces678 »

Things are going ok for me!

It's been about 4 months. It seems a little slow going. My teeth are straightening up well (I think lol), but since my last adjustment in June my bite has been so awkward. I was hoping it would change or something over the last few weeks as teeth move, but it hasn't. I am literally counting down the days until my next adjustment in September and hoping for more change. I still have so long to go!

AndAndAnd

#9 Post by AndAndAnd »

@EmilyTravels
From what I gather from my ortho a sizeable part a patient’s time in braces is the finishing stage to align everything as perfectly as possible. Apparently the ‘heavy lifting’ work is the straight foreword part. Hang in there, you are nearly done!

EmilyTravels

#10 Post by EmilyTravels »

AndAndAnd wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:53 pm @EmilyTravels
From what I gather from my ortho a sizeable part a patient’s time in braces is the finishing stage to align everything as perfectly as possible. Apparently the ‘heavy lifting’ work is the straight foreword part. Hang in there, you are nearly done!
Thank you. That made me feel a lot better. I hope that you are right! I go for my next adjustment on Monday so am keeping fingers and toes crossed as I continue to wear my four elastics and hope for the best. :D

Jami1

#11 Post by Jami1 »

I'm a little over 5 weeks in. I only have ceramic tops at this point until bite opens a bit. I had first wire change a couple of days ago and will likely get bottom ceramic in about 4 weeks. I will say eating has kind of lost its appeal as I can't bite anything in the front....definitely changes your eating habits a lot! I am definitely noticing movement and find more space opening each day. I am hoping the originals nap 18-24 estimate is much decreased😀

LittleTooth

#12 Post by LittleTooth »

4 months in and was quite happy that the worst was over, but I was wrong. Had my 2nd archwire change yesterday (from round to rectangular) and they connected the last molars to the archwire. Pain is as bad as day 1. Popping pain tablets every 6hrs and even resorted to tylenol 3s as extra strength tylenol wasn't providing any relief. Are the subsequent archwire changes going to be as bad as this?

EmilyTravels

#13 Post by EmilyTravels »

LittleTooth wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:30 pm 4 months in and was quite happy that the worst was over, but I was wrong. Had my 2nd archwire change yesterday (from round to rectangular) and they connected the last molars to the archwire. Pain is as bad as day 1. Popping pain tablets every 6hrs and even resorted to tylenol 3s as extra strength tylenol wasn't providing any relief. Are the subsequent archwire changes going to be as bad as this?
For me, the move to the rectangular wires was bad, and then things kinda stayed status quo for awhile until elastics were added --> more pain. Then status quo for a little longer, until recently. Ortho put multiple small bends in my wires to try to move certain teeth a little bit here and there (I am near the end, so this is the "finishing stage"). Oh lordy, those wires were back to day 1 pain for a few days. OWIE!

But like every other adjustment, after a few days, the pain got duller and less until it was just pressure. Then I got a second set of elastics on each side -- back to OWIE for a few days.

So no, unfortunately, they throw in little surprises that will reactivate the pain for a few days throughout your treatment. But in all cases, at least for me, the pain only lasted for a few days, during which I went back to soft foods, and then mellowed out. Sitting here this morning with bends in my wires and four elastics and no pain. But my next adjustment is two days from today...eeek! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shaa

#14 Post by Shaa »

Into my seventh week with self ligating braces. Random tooth aches and bottom teeth jutting out now, I guess to create space to correct overcrowding. I’m 46 years old with a deep bite and crooked teeth on top. Ortho says 12 months down the toad, keeping my fingers crossed that it will be just that and nothing more! All the best to us! It feels good to read and connect with fellow braced friends! ☺️