How many consultations?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chrissy1066

How many consultations?

#1 Post by Chrissy1066 »

I'm 51, just went for a consult last week. Everything I have read advises you to get more than one opinion. However, I really liked this ortho. I liked his personality, he took lots of time with me answering my questions and I like what he says his tentative treatment plan would be. Of course, we have to do x-rays, etc. first to be sure...so my question is, if I like the first guy, would you still get some other opinions?

jwbraces

Re: How many consultations?

#2 Post by jwbraces »

I only had one consultation, but he's the only orthodontist in my area! I liked him though and felt good about going forward. I think it's good to get more than one opinion if you have a complicated case where one may recommend surgery, extractions, etc and another would not. If you have a simple case and are happy with the plan, then I think one is okay. My plan is pretty straight-forward. I would have wanted another opinion (even if I had to drive far) if anything major was recommended.

AndAndAnd

#3 Post by AndAndAnd »

Hi. There is no harm in getting another opinion. My first choice of orthodontist ticked all the boxes and said all the right things to me, but he later dithered with protracted discussions with my dentist over a period of about 9 months - lost time where I could have been in a brace. I was then forced to choose another orthodontist slightly further away, and after his consultation I could get a better sense of makes a good orthodontist. You could get a second opinion, only if to reassure you that the first orthodontist is the right one for you! In many ways it's like any other purchase you make and the more consultations the better informed you will be.

EmilyTravels

#4 Post by EmilyTravels »

I only had one, but I was in a hurry to get started with braces so that I could finish up sooner and we could continue our traveling lifestyle. The ortho I went to came highly recommended (online and by someone I trusted) and was convenient to my location. He was also board-certified.

I liked him and his estimate of my braces time of 8-10 months. Unfortunately, it's now been almost 12 months, and looks like it will be at least 13 before I'm done, maybe 14. So now I kind of wish I had gotten more than one consultation. I still like him, but he is not a very communicative sort of person. I would have preferred one who was more involved and would tell me a lot more about what was going on from one appointment to the next.

If I had to do it over, I would get three consultations and decide between them. Since they are normally free, more information can only be helpful, unless it is so contradictory that you can't make a decision -- I can see that happening.

Gia

#5 Post by Gia »

I just had two consults this week and they are essentially as divergent as you can get: not a quick fix 18+ months. With Invisalign and don't need braces/Invisalign. I already have appointment for 3ed next week but was hoping not to need it. I liked the first guy a lot. Now I'm just confused.

Speck

#6 Post by Speck »

EmilyTravels wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:01 pm I only had one...
As did I. During the consult I mentioned simply the desire to remedy bottom crowding and the ortho commented on slight crowding in the upper, an overbite, misalignment, rotations, and narrow arches. Those observations seemed to explain the tendency of the upper incisors to hog into the inside of the lower lip and the molars biting into the plica fimbriata. I was sold at that point. :lol:

I guess treatment modalities for some orthodontic issues are not a "slam-dunk"?

Best of luck sorting through it!
-Andy

assertives

#7 Post by assertives »

I also only had one consultation. He is the director of the ortho service at the hospital I work at and he was highly recommended by alot of people. He had a friendly and bubbly personality, but personally, the reason why I went with him was in part due to it being convenient to get to my appointments since we work in the same building and also, his proposed treatment plan was consistent with the one consult I had gotten as a kid more than 20 years ago.

I am pretty happy with him, I had some initial grouses with him largely because I'm the type who wants/need to know everything and he happens to be the type that don't feel the need to provide too much information to his patients. I ended up asking him a crap ton of related and not so related questions and in the beginning nonetheless, and was also open in telling him I've been googling. He was a tad defensive but in time to come, he got the hint and would explain patiently and offer me alot of information now whenever I ask and even sometimes when I don't. So, no regrets for me.

I'd say if you are happy with the first ortho and his treatment plan made sense to you, you could just go ahead. The several opinions suggestion is not arbitrary, as long as you are happy at the end of the day.

djspeece

#8 Post by djspeece »

I only had one consultation -- my ortho had impeccable credentials and shares office space with my general dentist, who is an absolute goddess of teeth. She (the general dentist) was the one who recommended braces vs an implant and laid out the rationale. My ortho was not pushing it one little bit.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Gia

#9 Post by Gia »

Went for 3rd consult, but never saw ortho. Got there early, started to get out of car and person parked next to me, pauses her phone conversation to say office is closed and opens at 2 (she works there). I have a bad leg, and mobility problems. I was essentially out of the car, so rather than struggle to get back in, I just sat on the edge of the seat. The woman goes to get out, and I politely say give me a minute and I'll move, stand up and inadvertently lock myself out of the car, my bag,with keys etc on drivers side floor!

Gia

#10 Post by Gia »

I don't get visibly upset, knowing I'll just call AAA when I'm done, and I go in. I'm immediately asked to complete paperwork, including a 3 page medical history that I had downloaded, filled out at home, and was in my bag. I explain that I will bring it in as soon as AAA gets me into my car. I refused as while I am okay now, I have a long and complicated medical history, with probably about 20 surgeries, etc. I'm thinking ortho looks at mouth, opines as to whether orthodontia can help, but of course would defer final decision until he sees history to decide to treat me. If it can't be today, fine, I can make another appointment that I was willing to pay for to come back and discuss. I explain this politely and go back to waiting.

Gia

#11 Post by Gia »

Now office manager comes over. From website I
know it's doctor's wife who is retired peds nurse and retired attorney. She sternly insist I must complete form edited seeing doctor . She calls me Miss, many times, and bite back correcting her that it's Dr. I explain again, she is unyielding, and tells me I can come back another time. Now I am getting upset. I know they all know the situation because I heard the staff person explain what happened and she got out of the car, felt badly, etc. Yet not one person expressed concern, asked why I was getting upset, how we could resolve it. At this point I just said fine, I guess I won't see the doctor. She told me to come to the desk and reschedule. I smiled, said I think not, you've been a wonderful reflection of your husband's practice attitude. If the staff in my office dealt with a patient the way you have, they would be leaving not the patient. I also suggested that while she was clearly highly educated in my professional opinion in the men tat health field, she might want to take some people skills classes, and noted I'd be happy to share my opinion of the practice with friends and patients who asked. I left and while waiting for AAA wrote a scathing review.

Gia

#12 Post by Gia »

Problem is I still have 2 divergent opinions. I don't have the time to keep leaving work early, and these 3 all had great credentials and we're highly recommended. I'm inclined to just go with first person, who I see Thursday to pick up Essex retainer for trial. On the other hand don't want to make bad decision.

EmilyTravels

#13 Post by EmilyTravels »

I am sorry that this happened to you, Gia, but I think that particular ortho was not meant to be!

Since your first two consultations yielded such divergent opinions, is there another ortho you could set up one final consultation with, just to see what s/he recommends? I think that is what I would do in your position.

Best of luck!
Emily

Gia

#14 Post by Gia »

I know I have to do that and will start asking for recommendations. The second ortho and this one were the two my dentist referred me to. Right now I'm just still so annoyed about today! But you're right. Thanks for the advice.

Speck

#15 Post by Speck »

Yep, unfriendly/hostile manager/office = adios.

In your shoes, I would likely seek a third opinion.

Years ago I bought a used truck and on the way home stopped and got out to check something. While doing so (with key in the ignition and engine running), the possessed piece of s**t locked me out. :lol:

Anyway, I hope it all works out for the best!
-Andy