Jaw surgery? Sliding genioplasty? Orthodontics?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tara121

Jaw surgery? Sliding genioplasty? Orthodontics?

#1 Post by tara121 »

Hello,

I am really bothered by the asymmetry of my jaw, as one side of my mandible has grown longer than the other, causing my chin to be off centre relative to the rest of my face. I have had orthodontics in the past (removed about 12 years ago) which straightened my teeth reasonably well, however the abnormal jaw growth occurred later. I have had a bone scan which showed that my jaw is no longer actively growing so it will not get any worse. I do not have any symptoms or functional problems other than some clicking in my jaw but no pain or difficulties chewing. I really just hate the appearance of the asymmetry so any surgery would be solely for cosmetic reasons.

I also feel like the midline of my teeth is off centre relative to the rest of my face (primarily my eyes and nose), however I am unsure if this is a result of the jaw deviation or a separate issue.

I have been assessed by an oral maxillofacial surgeon who suggested that I would get a good result with a sliding genioplasty but was unsure whether or not I would need orthodontic retreatment as well.

I would appreciate any input as to what other people think about possible avenues to address it and if it would be worth it.

See link below for photos:

https://photos.app.stuff.gl/VWxCWXSnUjepVzf16

tara121

Re: Jaw surgery? Sliding genioplasty? Orthodontics?

#2 Post by tara121 »

For some reason the above link didn't work. I'm hoping this one will:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qax5f993uwfq ... E5LAa?dl=0

tara121

#3 Post by tara121 »

Anyone???

sbkwtz91

#4 Post by sbkwtz91 »

You look great, and I would think carefully about going under the knife, since the results are not always as perfect as we expect.

More directly to your question, I don’t see the need for orthodontics, since there would be no changes to your bite. I would be sure your genioplasty only addresses the mild assymetry and doesn’t fudge with the projection or vertical dimension, so to speak.

sbkwtz91

#5 Post by sbkwtz91 »

Your midline is a teeny bit off center, maybe a millimeter. I did not notice until I re-read your post. This could be corrected with orthodontics. I wouldn’t see the need for jaw surgery. Frankly, it’s so imperceptible, I would
leave it alone. Again, you look great!