Will lower jaw surgery make my chin disappear?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

conflictedduck

Will lower jaw surgery make my chin disappear?

#1 Post by conflictedduck »

Hi everyone, I have a very slight underbite and a crossbite. I am most likely going to get 2 upper bicuspid removed and have lower jaw surgery only. I will be getting the surgery only for functional reasons, but I've been worried that the extraction paired with the lower jaw surgery will make my chin.. disappear. Because of my crossbite my chin goes to the left a bit and it is even more noticeable when I smile. I have not seen a jaw surgeron but I'm guessing they'll rotate it to the right to make it more in the center. But when they push it back, I'm worried my chin will disappear (especially the side profile) I am totally fine with the way my chin looks in my side profile now, but I can't imagine how it will change after lower jaw surgery. I am sorry if this question is stupid. I have no else to ask right now. My orthodontist told me I'd have to wait until I see the jaw surgeon, but I probably won't see a jaw surgeon until after I get those two teeth pulled out and have my braces on. If anyone has any opinion on this, please share. It's bothering me so much. :(

PierreDeFermat

Re: Will lower jaw surgery make my chin disappear?

#2 Post by PierreDeFermat »

Unless you have a major underbite, the surgeon will likely move your upper jaw forward instead of bringing your lower backward (or a combination of the top forward, and the bottom a little backward). This is to ensure you still have good mandibular projection/definition post-op.

Please don't get any teeth pulled until you see a few surgeons who all say it's absolutely necessary.

conflictedduck

#3 Post by conflictedduck »

Hi, thank you so much for responding. If I don't have braces on yet, will a jaw surgeon still have a consultation with me?

kplatt2010

#4 Post by kplatt2010 »

In regards to your question about whether surgeon will see you before braces; the answer is yes. The surgeon and ortho worked collaboratively to get you to the point where you can have the surgery and then post procedure tweaking with the braces ~ 6 weeks after surgery.

snapdresser

#5 Post by snapdresser »

A lot of folks who have an underbite and get their lower jaw pushed back are not happy with the cosmetic difference, even when it's well within aesthetic norms. That said, if you're having functional difficulties and this is the cure, perhaps having a frank conversation with your surgeon and starting meetings with a therapist pre-op could be in order. I've seen folks on here regret the whole thing even though their functional issues are addressed, simply because they feel like they've lost their pronounced chin. Some of them meet with therapists to help them come to grip with the changes, so maybe you could get ahead of the curve and start meeting with one pre-op? Just an idea.

**Note: I'm not a doctor.**
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Onetruereddot

#6 Post by Onetruereddot »

What exactly does "Mandibular projection" constitute? Does it refer to the projection of the chin?