Getting braces for the 2nd time because of protrusion

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

assertives

Re: Getting braces for the 2nd time because of protrusion

#46 Post by assertives »

It looks like a deep bite is forming. Definitely get hold of your ortho.

Lovespain5

#47 Post by Lovespain5 »

badbraces wrote:hi, update one my braces, the lower teeth seems to be all closed off but my problem now is that it looks like my teeth is having an overbite problem! :( i have been out of town for 5 weeks and i noticed my lower teeth keep on moving upwards every week and i can't get in contact with my ortho. it's been 5 weeks since my last adjustment and i'll be going home 2 weeks from now, will this keep on going up nonstop if i don't do something? :cry: can i do something with this?

Is this normal?
https://imgur.com/a/k8WCH

sorry i don't have a camera with me so i only have phone quality pics
Hi badbraces! Nice to give news!
Did you start with elastics?
I had some slight overbite after the closing of my extraction gaps too, even if had worn elastics for one year!
So I had to keep on wearing elastics until achieving a perfect Class I bite.
Don't hesitate talking with your ortho about that, elastics are compulsory during an orthodontic treatment, above all if you had been treated with premolar extractions.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

badbraces

#48 Post by badbraces »

wore elastics for about 2+ months and now it is removed for my teeth to "rest"

here's an update on my teeth side view, my smile is so different now! I'll be posting a before and after front view too :D

Lovespain5

#49 Post by Lovespain5 »

badbraces wrote:wore elastics for about 2+ months and now it is removed for my teeth to "rest"

here's an update on my teeth side view, my smile is so different now! I'll be posting a before and after front view too :D
Nice evolution! Can you close your mouth without strain now? About the front view, do you see some changes in your face shape?

badbraces

#50 Post by badbraces »

Hi it's been a while since I last posted. I haven't posted because there's only slight changes to my teeth. My ortho made my teeth "rest" to untip my lower teeth. But it's taking too long (going 1 year now without elastics)and I'm getting upset because I just want to remove these braces ASAP because I don't like them. Do any of you have similar problems with mine? Thanks!

Lovespain5

#51 Post by Lovespain5 »

badbraces wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:10 pm Hi it's been a while since I last posted. I haven't posted because there's only slight changes to my teeth. My ortho made my teeth "rest" to untip my lower teeth. But it's taking too long (going 1 year now without elastics)and I'm getting upset because I just want to remove these braces ASAP because I don't like them. Do any of you have similar problems with mine? Thanks!
I wore my braces for nearly 3 years so be patient. But I wore my elastics nearly permanently too. Maybe powerchains work well enough so elastics are not compulsory in your case? Do you have a nice mouth closure now?

justwrong

#52 Post by justwrong »

it’s been around 6 months since i had extractions/braces put on (my second time having braces) and i haven’t even gotten elastics yet.
do you have any new pictures of your side profile/face? it looks like the protrusion went down a lot in your other photos i’d love to see the difference in your face shape/chin

badbraces

#53 Post by badbraces »

sorry what I meant tosay is that my ortho doesn't let me wear elastics or powerchains! :?

going to post photos when I can get a decent shot, but it's definitely a huge improvement and I'm so happy on the changes (except this slow delay) :D

assertives

#54 Post by assertives »

badbraces wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:56 am sorry what I meant tosay is that my ortho doesn't let me wear elastics or powerchains! :?

going to post photos when I can get a decent shot, but it's definitely a huge improvement and I'm so happy on the changes (except this slow delay) :D
Hang in there. You have come so far already and it would be a shame to get your braces off anything less than the perfect timing for them to be off or for a result that is anything less than perfect.

But that said, if you truly feel it's good enough for you, you could perhaps talk to your ortho and request to get the braces off earlier. You'll probably need to sign a waiver stating that you understand that the outcome is not as your ortho would thinks is optimal/recommends, and that you will not hold your ortho responsible for any relapse or something along those lines.

But my advise is just to hang in there though.

badbraces

#55 Post by badbraces »

assertives wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:22 am Hang in there. You have come so far already and it would be a shame to get your braces off anything less than the perfect timing for them to be off or for a result that is anything less than perfect.

But that said, if you truly feel it's good enough for you, you could perhaps talk to your ortho and request to get the braces off earlier. You'll probably need to sign a waiver stating that you understand that the outcome is not as your ortho would thinks is optimal/recommends, and that you will not hold your ortho responsible for any relapse or something along those lines.

But my advise is just to hang in there though.
the thing is I want to wear powerchains and elastics but she doesn't let me. There are still gaps in my teeth so I would like to wear them so it'll close and then get my braces off. :(

justwrong

#56 Post by justwrong »

did she give you an estimate of when you can get them iff?

badbraces

#57 Post by badbraces »

she told me last january that it's almost finished. But now I just asked again and she told me that it'll take longer. :( She is going to have to move my 1st molar forward but I don't want this. Also wouldn't that create a gap in between my 1st and 2nd molar? Since I don't have braces on my 2nd molar.

assertives

#58 Post by assertives »

Is she working on your bite? The bite is often the longest and most difficult process of the treatment and it's not that uncommon to hear delays of up to a year because of the bite. Perhaps get more clarity from her on what exactly is still left to be done?

badbraces

#59 Post by badbraces »

I don't think there's a problem with my bite. I am already happy with my teeth. Just the small gaps that I wish I wore power chains or elastics to get rid. I hate seeing no progress after almost 1 year of resting phase should have been closed already :(

justwrong

#60 Post by justwrong »

if it’s just aesthetic, maybe you could tell her you’d like to move forward with treatment, or ask her when she’ll be done with this in particular.