Clear Retainers and Very Loose Teeth?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tgannon2

Clear Retainers and Very Loose Teeth?

#1 Post by Tgannon2 »

Hey folks!

I went well over my treatment time for braces and was expected to get them off later this year but due to root resorption, I got them off two days ago. Despite the issue with my roots, I'm so happy with my teeth. I was shocked looking at myself and then in the middle of talking to the assistants I just burst into tears. It really is the best feeling ever! I have never had straight teeth except for when I was a small child, my confidence is through the roof.

I do have two questions for those that are experienced with life after braces.

1. What is the best care for a clear retainer?
I am supposed to wear clear retainers (bottom and top) for a total of one year. I'm having some difficulty cleaning it, right now I'm just scrubbing it with my toothbrush and foamy toothpaste, and I was using mouthwash but heard the alcohol based ones are bad for them? Not to mention you can't use hot water on them, so I just want to know your personal opinion on how to care for them

2. Were your teeth loose after braces?
I'm talking like...barely touching and those bad boys are moving. I had root resorption in my bottom front teeth, making them extremely sensitive. Due to the 50% loss, I had to stop treatment. This left a small gap between my front two teeth. My ortho is letting me go one week without my bottom retainer to let the gap close. It is gone already and while the teeth aren't exactly straight, I'm so happy in comparison to how they were before so I'm honestly not complaining. However, brushing and flossing these teeth have been a NIGHTMARE. They are moving constantly like when you have a loose baby tooth. I can barely brush because I'm so paranoid and I just tried to floss and saw my tooth wiggling all over the place.

I'm most nervous about this and knowing whether or not it's normal. My upper retainer was tight and still can be a pain to take off, I'm worried about my tooth just falling out of my mouth (paranoid, I know). My gums are also very puffy so I'm assuming that's not helping the teeth get firm again.

Any advice would be so appreciated!

djspeece

Re: Clear Retainers and Very Loose Teeth?

#2 Post by djspeece »

I have the Vivera clear retainer, and i brush them each morning with toothpaste as directed by my ortho. It is normal for your teeth to be somewhat loose immediately after the braces come off, which is why you need to wear your retainers until the teeth "settle." Not sure what that means, exactly. I wore my retainers 24x7 for the first 6 months, and then every night. I've been brace-free for three years, but I can still tell that my teeth are still wanting to move. When I wear my retainers, they are initially snug, but that feeling goes away in a minute or so at this point. Congrats on reaching the end (sorry about the resorption issue, but happy that you are pleased with your new smile)!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

I'm still in braces until next month, but I had read not to use toothpaste on them as it could scratch them (Essix plastic retainers). I have already ordered a bunch of Retainer-Brite. These are tablets you put into water and then soak the retainers in. After I spent the money for a year's supply, my husband researched and told me that denture tablets work just as well for a fraction of the cost. So, you might want to try that.

Speck

#4 Post by Speck »

How about a few drops of liquid dishwashing detergent in around 8oz of tepid water, lightly scrubbing with surgical brush? This is the treatment I give the Invisalign aligners. So far, no obvious evidence of abrasion.
Or simply soaking them in a solution of hydrogen peroxide?
OK, I'll stop trying to be helpful. :lol:
-Andy