PRE & POST-OP SUPPLY LIST---add your list or ideas

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jaydee83

Re: PRE & POST-OP SUPPLY LIST---add your list or ideas

#76 Post by Jaydee83 »

Great list I'm in the UK so not entirely sure what some of the things are so I will Google a brittish alternative but thanks this helps alot

PierreDeFermat

#77 Post by PierreDeFermat »

One of the best items I got after leaving the hospital was an Amazon Fire Stick ($30 USD) which allowed me to watch Netflix, Prime, HBO, Hulu, etc. (subscriptions sold separately). Usually I would prefer to go on my computer or read but I just didn't have the energy/focus. I got hooked on The Wire (2002) season 1!

My biggest medical supplies were:
----------------------------
1. Infant tooth brush (rated for 0-2 years of age)
2. Q-tips and hydrogen peroxide to clean blood clots out of nose
3. Plenty of tissues/paper towels
4. A few very thin cups that allowed me to rinse my mouth
5. Two jumbo syringes with rubber tips to eat/take medication
6. Humidifier

Make sure to clean your room, sheets, and towels before surgery as well as stock up on pillows!

Sideways

#78 Post by Sideways »

7 weeks post-op, so some of the things that turned out surprisingly useful:

1. Small, soft washcloths to use as bibs/napkins-- bought a pack of 24 on Amazon
2. Jaw bra with heat packs
3. Squeeze bottles with tips-- the kind you put ketchup in. Waaaay faster to use than syringes when it comes to eating. Just make sure you buy ones with a bit more threading on the neck to prevent leaking

kplatt2010

#79 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi there fellow future and post surgery patients!
I will be one year post July 11th. I had the surgery for sleep apnea and that has pretty much resolved. The best resource for preparing that I found was Kelly's surgery blog. Her list was wonderful and here are the ones that I found invaluable:
1. Cheap ketchup plastic bottles. These can be bought on Amazon and I would buy six to eight at least. These are great for getting in the milkshakes that you drink for 6 to 12 weeks depending on how well you heal post surgery.
2. Humidifier- a must as you're so swollen after surgery that you mouth breath and your lips will peel too.
3. Vaseline - pack that in your bag for the hospital too for the super dry lips
3. Adult bibs - yes unless you want milkshakes all over your clothes. Lips and chin are numb initially. You can get these cheap on Amazon. I use mine now as dust towels.
4.Neils sinus rinse bottle- used this several days post surgery to very gently rinse my mouth. I vaguely remember using day 3 because my inner right cheek was adhering to my mouth somehow. I just used warm plain water to rinse.
5. Pill crusher for any meds that you have. Ask for meds in a liquid form if they come in that form.
6. Discharge prescription for pain meds-if your surgeon tells you that there will be no pain as everything is numb, he's lying or clueless. If you need pain meds; put your foot down There's no reason not to have a limited supply for at least week one. If you broke your leg and went to the ER, they would give you a prescription. The surgeon is breaking your jaw and pinning it.
6.Nutribullet - a must for milkshakes for the next six to eight weeks
7. Boost Plus ( i like chocolate ones) milk shakes
8. Protein powder to add to milk shakes. I added the Vega protein powder
9. Frozen fruit to add to shakes along with ice chips. The coldness feels so good post surgery
10. **Good one for the women- Nanoblur from Indeed labs. This is to use as a substitute for makeup. It goes on quick and easily.
11. Lazy boy type chair for first ~week post surgery. I slept in one the entire first week and had humidifier going 24/7.
12. A wedge pillow for sleeping after first week.
13. Happy tots fiber and protein baby food pouches- pears and raspberries and pears and peaches are pretty good. Also good was the superfoods apples and sweet potatoes. These were the flavors I preferred. The pouches are good because you can squeeze them into your mouth and not have to use the ketchup bottles.
Hope this helps! Take a look at Kelly's blog, it's awesome.
Karla

kplatt2010

#80 Post by kplatt2010 »

[quote=kplatt2010 post_id=503176 time=1530972032 user_id=32146]
I will be one year post July 11th. I had the surgery for sleep apnea and that has pretty much resolved. The best resource for preparing that I found was Kelly's surgery blog. Her list was wonderful and here are the ones that I found invaluable and a few that I found along the way through trial and error:
1. Cheap ketchup plastic bottles. These can be bought on Amazon and I would buy six to eight at least. These are great for getting in the milkshakes that you drink for 6 to 12 weeks depending on how well you heal post surgery.
2. Humidifier- a must as you're so swollen after surgery that you mouth breath and your lips will peel too.
3. Adult bibs - yes unless you want milkshakes all over your clothes. Lips and chin are numb initially. You can get these cheap on Amazon. I use mine now as dust towels.
4.Neils sinus rinse bottle- used this several days post surgery to very gently rinse my mouth. I vaguely remember using day 3 because my inner right cheek was adhering to my mouth somehow. I just used warm plain water to rinse.
5. Pill crusher for any meds that you have. Ask for meds in a liquid form if they come in that form.
6. Discharge prescription for pain meds-if your surgeon tells you that there will be no pain as everything is numb, he's lying or clueless. If you need pain meds; put your foot down There's no reason not to have a limited supply for at least week one. If you broke your leg and went to the ER, they would give you a prescription. The surgeon is breaking your jaw and pinning it.
9. Frozen fruit to add to shakes along with ice chips. The coldness feels so good post surgery
10. **Good one for the women- Nanoblur from Indeed labs. This is to use as a substitute for makeup. It goes on quick and easily.
11. Lazy boy type chair for first ~week post surgery. I slept in one the entire first week and had humidifier going 24/7.
13. Happy tots fiber and protein baby food pouches- pears and raspberries and pears and peaches are pretty good. Also good was the superfoods apples and sweet potatoes. These were the flavors I preferred. The pouches are good because you can squeeze them into your mouth and not have to use the ketchup bottles.
Karla
[/quote]

kplatt2010

#81 Post by kplatt2010 »

[quote=kplatt2010 post_id=503177 time=1530972083 user_id=32146]
[quote=kplatt2010 post_id=503176 time=1530972032 user_id=32146]
I will be one year post July 11th. I had the surgery for sleep apnea and that has pretty much resolved. The best resource for preparing that I found was Kelly's surgery blog. Her list was wonderful and here are the ones that I found invaluable and a few that I found along the way through trial and error:
14, Last but most important for keeping clean with braces and to keep infections at bay is a waterpik. Anyone who has braces it's a must for keeping those bad boys clean especially when things are numb and you cannot tell you have debris going on in there. You won't be able to use the pik for at least 3 weeks. Using the Neils Sinus bottle to gently clean along with gentle brushing works great.
Karla
[/quote]
[/quote]

aghummel90

#82 Post by aghummel90 »

1) I will add that the children's version of acetaminophen was quite helpful, since I could use it in a syringe.

2) Ice mask.

3) Gauze. Lots of it.

4) Soylent for nutrition.

5) Calendula flower, as an anti-inflammatory.

academiannut

#83 Post by academiannut »

For the hospital, I didn't need much but I do wish I'd brought my own food, even if it was just a few bottles of ensure!

They kept bringing me a tray labeled "liquid diet" which included 1) beef or chicken broth (no vegetarian option, plus based on the taste, I'm sure it was loaded with sodium - bad when you're swelling is ramping up), 2) things I couldn't eat, like pudding (clearly not liquid, so why on the liquid diet tray??), 3) tea - YES, and 4) 1 "clear" ensure, which was nasty.

I mean, I wasn't hungry but I drank the broths and ensures and regretted it later when I realized how much salt was in that broth. Also, if I were still eating vegetarian, that would have cut my options in half!

Also, I kept having to ask for refills on water. Something I really appreciated about getting home was being able to control my own access to food, water, and ice packs.

academiannut

#84 Post by academiannut »

Also, I'm surprised calcium isn't on the list, since we're healing bones. I've been taking a 100% daily dose of citrical every day - is that ill-advised?

gloveflavored

#85 Post by gloveflavored »

Laxatives lol

lefortfort

#86 Post by lefortfort »

A solid pillow (hospital pillows are so flat) that is thick so you can sit up and sleep without sliding down through the night.