Gap size after SARPE

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

APriv

Gap size after SARPE

#1 Post by APriv »

I had my SARPE surgery 6 days ago and am recovering really well, according to me and my surgeon. My ortho told me that I'd be turning the key for "at least a month". At 2 turns per day = 1/2 mm per day, I'm looking at a huge gap. I'm already a smidge over 2mm. How big did your gap get?

Nozzelnut

Re: Gap size after SARPE

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

It all depends on what your needs are and how your teeth move. If you need more space; you'll likely see a larger gap. Some folks have a gap of several mm; maybe enough for another incisor; some will be much less. But, remember, things *might* look worse before they look great!! And you have the room you need... It really depends on your needs and it shouldn't necessarily be compared to others.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

APriv

#3 Post by APriv »

The purpose of my post was just out of curiosity. I'm not here to compare myself, my gap size, my process, my recovery or anything to others. It was sheer curiosity. I'm also not concerned with things looking worse before better, that's commonsense to me with this whole process. I have a 5 mm gap and have turned the key 9 times since my surgery. Out of curiosity, I was wondering if a gap could get to over 15 mm. Before I found out I needed dbl jaw realignment surgery, I had no idea anything was wrong with my teeth or jaw. My teeth were petty ideal, or so I thought.

MoJo2685

#4 Post by MoJo2685 »

Mine was about the width of an old school pencil. I don't remember the mm measurement.

jbando

#5 Post by jbando »

Hi MoJo,

Out of curiosity, how are you progressing? I had my SARPE last week and today is my second day turning. Did you have any discomfort or pressure after your turns?
Also, swelling has been killer... as well as eating anything soft... Hope you're recovery went well!

MoJo2685

#6 Post by MoJo2685 »

Oh my SARPE was in 2016. Recovery for that went pretty well. S
jbando wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:29 pm Hi MoJo,

Out of curiosity, how are you progressing? I had my SARPE last week and today is my second day turning. Did you have any discomfort or pressure after your turns?
Also, swelling has been killer... as well as eating anything soft... Hope you're recovery went well!
My SARPE was in Aug 2016. There was a ton of swelling. And post turns I would get mild headaches. Since then braces have done their thing, I had lower jaw surgery to correct an overbite, and just this week the braces came off! I imagine about a month post surgery you are at about the worst you will look and the light at the end seems pretty far. My two biggest pieces of advice are to be sure you smile for real in photos (it's good for the soul and you can laugh about it later). And keep in mind that the worst only lasts a few weeks.