Getting braces before seeing a jaw surgeon

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

conflictedduck

Getting braces before seeing a jaw surgeon

#1 Post by conflictedduck »

Is it normal to get braces on before seeing a jaw surgeon? My orthodontist said I would have braces on first before seeing a jaw surgeon. I trust this orthodontist and all but the part that scares me is not knowing if I'm going to have only lower jaw surgery or double jaw surgery. My orthodontist is confident that I'll only have lower done, but he said he can't say for sure until I see a jaw surgeon. He also said he'll communicate with the oral surgeon about only getting the lower done. I prefer to only have lower jaw surgery for sure. He wants me to change my insurance to Kaiser because there's a jaw surgeon he really likes in Kaiser. He said if I can't then he'll choose a surgeon in my current insurance (blue shield) and communicate with him etc.
I'll be getting my braces on as soon as I get two top teeth extracted, which will be in under a month.
:I

MoJo2685

Re: Getting braces before seeing a jaw surgeon

#2 Post by MoJo2685 »

Depending on how much your teeth need to move first jaw surgery could be pretty far into your braces treatment. But I did meet with my surgeon before braces went on just so that both the orthodontist and the surgeon were on the same page as far as what treatment would be necessary.

conflictedduck

#3 Post by conflictedduck »

Hi, thanks for responding!
I feel much better hearing that because I am really unsure about the extractions on my top two bicuspids, and I would like to know how many mm is going to be involved in the surgery...

PierreDeFermat

#4 Post by PierreDeFermat »

I strongly recommend you consult another orthodontist before getting teeth extracted.

While it maybe true in your case that the teeth need to come out (e.g. if you have an open bite with severe crowding and a narrow palate), it's getting rarer and rarer for orthodontists to extract teeth and I would try to get a second or even third opinion. It might take another year for the orthodontist to treat over-crowding but in most cases it can be done.

Also, while lower jaw only surgery is less risky, depending on your case it might be beneficial to move both jaws so that the surgeon has more control of your occlusion and aesthetics. Double jaw surgery is usually preferred if you have some degree of retro/prognathism.

Again, everybody's case is unique but getting a second opinion never hurts.

Best of luck

sweetlittlelie

#5 Post by sweetlittlelie »

Yes. My orthodontist took a look at me, sent me out to their referrals (including an oral surgeon), and crafted a plan based on their feedback. The surgeon they referred me to was completely baffled as to why I was there when I wasn't even in braces yet.

conflictedduck

#6 Post by conflictedduck »

Hello, thanks for the replies.
I have a slight underbite and crossbite (right side of jaw grew more than left). As far as I know I don't have a narrow palate.
My underbite and crossbite are actually not noticeable and my smile looks fine (probably due to teeth compensation). I am fine with the way I look and I really don't want to change dramatically after jaw surgery. The part that scares me the most is how much I will change physically, then the potential numbness, etc. I'm getting this surgery because my bite is causing me "headaches" around my ear. When I put my bite in the middle, the "headache" is gone. It took me a long time to finally reach this decision of getting surgery. I saw this same orthodontist 5 years ago who wants to extract two top teeth and when he brought up surgery, I thought it was BS. Most of the orthodontists I went to recommended surgery. Five years later my TMJ has gotten worse and now I have ear problems (bad tinnitus) and I decided to just get the surgery. If putting my bite in the middle gets rid of my headache around the ear, then I think surgery will help with that forever so I don't have to consciously put my bite in the middle all the time.

When my orthodontist said I need to extract two top teeth, I was very surprised. I have a slight underbite, so it really confused me. Usually people with underbites have two bottom teeth removed. He explained to me that when he straightens my top teeth, my upper arch will be too wide and my teeth will flare out, so in order to make it look more natural, he will want two top bicuspids removed. Then the surgery will move my lower jaw back. But yeah, I am still worried that extracting two top teeth will make me look different. Scared it'll make my face flat, narrow, etc. I am getting my jaw corrected purely for functional reasons, so I really don't want to come out of all this looking "worse" than when I started as I'm fine with how I look now. :/

I got two different replies in regards to seeing a jaw surgeon before getting braces haha. I'd have to agree with MoJo2685 though. I'd like to make sure if the surgeon and orthodontist are on the same page. I really don't want to have any surprises. :I

Also, I did get braces when I was 11, where they extracted one lower bicuspid on the right side because of my crossbite.
Sorry, this response turned out longer than I expected :))
Last edited by conflictedduck on Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

conflictedduck

#7 Post by conflictedduck »

I'm 23 female btw