Better Late Than Never!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

meggie

Better Late Than Never!

#1 Post by meggie »

31 y/o Canadian Military Officer and mother of two joining the metal mouth community for the first time.

When I was young, my parents were very poor and couldn't afford to take my to the dentist. I used to get what I thought were ear infections all the time. Eventually I saw an ENT who diagnosed me with TMJD and said I should really see a dentist. So, reluctantly my mother took me to see a dentist for the first time since I was 8 (I was 16 at the time). I was then referred to a periodontist because my bite and teeth were really messed up. My mother took me to the periodontist office for the consultation. The receptionist said it would be a $135 consultation fee. We walked out without ever seeing the doctor because my mother couldn't afford that, let alone the thousands it would cost for braces to correct the pain I was having.

15 years later, I am finally correcting my bite and teeth. Because my teeth lead to a functional problem (not just cosmetic), the military is paying for my treatment. If they had of declined my application, I was prepared to foot the bill myself.

I think cost likely inhibits many teens from getting the treatment they need. I am just glad I have the opportunity now.

APriv

Re: Better Late Than Never!

#2 Post by APriv »

Congrats on making these huge steps and getting this all started! I'm just starting this process myself and am in my mid-30's. Putting off having as family until this is all over.

assertives

Re: Better Late Than Never!

#3 Post by assertives »

Congrats on getting started! I too did not get braces when I was a kid because of financial issues. I was lucky that I only ended up with mild wear and tear on my teeth and jaw joints. I finally got braces at the ripe old age of 35 and foot the bill myself. All the best in your journey!