Will elastics work for an adult with overbite?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DorianhaBogelund

Will elastics work for an adult with overbite?

#1 Post by DorianhaBogelund »

Hi, I have an overbite combined with an overjet, making my upper front teeth extremely far ahead of the lower. The sites for local orthos say that elastics are only used on young patients bc their jaws are still growing. But I really want to avoid surgery if possible (I don't have insurance), and elastics are a comparatively much easier solution so I'm wondering if it's worth trying? Like it seems like it can't hurt to at least try it?

Thank you!

EmilyTravels

Re: Will elastics work for an adult with overbite?

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

Absolutely elastics do work in adults! My bite was way off (overjet and midline and slightly open) due to fracturing my jaw in a bike accident last year. I wore elastics for just under six months, and my bite is so so so much better now.

Sure, jaw surgery might give you a perfect result, but for what you have to go through to get it; I'll take what elastics can do, which (at least in my case) is pretty darn good. My overjet is much reduced, no more open bite, and my midline is spot on.

I should mention that I am 57 (56 when I started all this), so one does not need to be young for elastics to work. That said, I don't know much about deep/over bite, so it may be more of a challenge. I would get at least 2-3 consultations (most often free) with different orthodontists to see what they have to say.

Best of luck!

DorianhaBogelund

#3 Post by DorianhaBogelund »

Thank you so much for the encouraging reply! It's great to hear that elastics have worked for you. I'll just have to go to various orthodontists and see if I can get one of them to try it with me. Thanks again!

EmilyTravels

#4 Post by EmilyTravels »

You're so welcome. Make sure to post an update when you have a consultation!

meggie

#5 Post by meggie »

I have the same issue as you and am wearing an appliance called the Carriere Motion Appliance. It is supposed to correct my bite within 4 months. I am 31 years old and have never had any orthodontic treatment before.

liner

#6 Post by liner »

I am 52 and they absolutely work!
If you wear them as per your ortho's instruction, they should work pretty good.
My ortho told me that she actually didn't think it would work as well on me.
I am very compliant and wear my invisalign 22+ hours a day and elastics as directed.
I am in the refinement stage and my teeth have transformed from crooked to straight!
Just can't wait until I am finally done. Looks like September.

22at26

#7 Post by 22at26 »

I’m 27 and have had fantastic results with consistent and constant elastic wear. My overbite and overjet is roughly 80% corrected halfway through my anticipated time in braces. Now we are moving my midline, which is proving stubborn, but it is still moving.
Braced Date: 06/29/2017
Expected Duration:22 months
Type: Damon Metal
Problems: Overjet, deep overbite, crowded and shifted lower teeth, hx trauma to central upper incisors with recent root canal and enamel fissures.

cakers

#8 Post by cakers »

I only just got my braces this week, but I am in my thirties and I am going to have what seems like anton of rubberbands eventually. They gave me four pairs of hokka on each side of my mouth. I have an open bite and a cross bite.

cakers

#9 Post by cakers »

anton = a ton

Mpkh

#10 Post by Mpkh »

I started with an edge to edge bite and a crossbite...elastics have done wonders for my bite. I’m sure they’ll work for you too!
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

bbsadmin

#11 Post by bbsadmin »

Elastics definitely work for anybody in braces at any age, depending on your individual case and the reason why they are used.

What doesn't work for older people: palate expanders. Once you are above age 19 or 20ish, your palate is totally fused. After that age, you would need SARPE surgery to re-open the palate to expand it.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

assertives

#12 Post by assertives »

I am 36 and got my braces when I was 35 to fix a deep overbite and moderate crowding. I only got elastics this month, which would be a year into my treatment. I still have an overbite, but I do feel my bite is changing and improving after just a week in elastics. So yes, elastics do work for an adult in overbite cases.