expanding palate 8mm without surgery possible?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vtrieu

expanding palate 8mm without surgery possible?

#1 Post by vtrieu »

i just got removable palate expanders and was told that my palate needs to be expanded 8mm and would take about 2 months. i've read that for adults that the amount that can be expanded is quite limited so i was just wondering if others that needed this much expansion did it successfully without surgery? i was told that i need to turn it every other day, with this schedule would i be able to turn it more often if i wanted to speed things up a bit, nothing drastic maybe 4-5 times a week if my teeth can take it.

breal87

#2 Post by breal87 »

i would def just turn it every other day like they told you, don't over do it!!

Test

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

How "adult" are you? :)

Seems anyone over about 20 has limited expansion.

The pallet is fused at about that age so any "expansion" is just pushing molars outward....not actually expanding the pallet.

8mm seems to be a lot, but I would do what I was told; the ortho has a lot of years of training behind him/her. :thumbsup:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

vtrieu

#4 Post by vtrieu »

im 24, i really don;t like this thing so if its possible to move it faster i want to try.

jennielee81

#5 Post by jennielee81 »

Without surgical assistance, I doubt you'll get there faster.... sorry!!

I can't imagine how miserable that expander can be. I see kids at the school where I work with them all the time and they figure out how to live with them, but I don't think I could!

Keep us posted on your progress!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Filip

#6 Post by Filip »

I am 35 and had an RPE (fixed) for a total of 5 months. My results are clear: at least 7mm expansion and permanent. I know so because my face has become wider, I can see how my cheekbones are wider, more defined than before.

However, I doubt the effectiveness of a removable appliance, and "taking time" to do the expansion. My OD said that an RPE in adults has to be "dramatic" to make the palate break open instead of the teeth tipping outwards. I took 1 month to expand, then 4 months to heal the palate to recreate the bone.

And I doubt that a removable appliance will achieve that.

I would speak with the OD to get another opinion.

RPE for 5 months
In: 08-Feb-07 Out: 20-Jul-07

Molar rotator for 2 months
In: 24-Jul-07 Out: 14-Sept-07

Twinkletoes

#7 Post by Twinkletoes »

Hi! Before my braces I had a removable upper palate expander for almost four months and I have to say, it was an incredibly difficult experience. The braces I have now are a breeze compared to the expander, so I sympathise with you. However, on a positive note I did get 4mm of expansion and I am 39. I only did two turns a week, though - I wouldn't overdo it if I were you. My Ortho told me about a man who had tried to turn his more often than he was told and he wasted the complete time in his expander as it didn't expand his arch properly and tipped his teeth right out. I would just follow your Ortho's instructions carefully if I were you. Stay with it - hopefully you'll get good results and if you can't get 8mm you may be able to get close. Good luck! Claire

metalmom

#8 Post by metalmom »

I also have expanded about that much with no surgery.. mine was about the same it was slow going, I only turned once a week. then it had to "set". You can totally see a difference in my face. People comment on it all the time. I have run into people that I haven't seen in a few years and they dont recognize me at first. It's pretty awesome. The expander sucks but it's worth it.

GOOD LUCK!! :D

Boolajoojoo

#9 Post by Boolajoojoo »

Twinkletoes wrote:My Ortho told me about a man who had tried to turn his more often than he was told and he wasted the complete time in his expander as it didn't expand his arch properly and tipped his teeth right out.
There's no point to this little anecdote, but you reminded me of something: My dentist told this story (I think it's true) about an orthodontist colleague of his whose teenage patient was directed to turn the key in his expander every other day. The kid missed his next appointment, apparently went out of town... and then he was out of contact for months... but he had kept turning the expander every other day the whole time. Finally showed back up at the office with an over expanded upper jaw and the kid's like "Can I stop turning the key now?" and the orthodontist was like... "What do I do? How do I fix it?" and then told him "You could have stopped months ago, you have to turn it back in the other direction now." Apparently he was able to reverse the damage though by turning it back.

Boolajoojoo

#10 Post by Boolajoojoo »

Meryaten wrote:That's an odd story. As far as I know, an RPE has a maximum amount of expansion that it can accomplish, that is limited by the length of the screws at the center of the expander - for example, they might be 8, 11, and 13mm sizes.
It might not be a true story at all, I can be naive and it's hard to tell when my dentist is being serious or joking, he can have a very dry and dead-pan sense of humor, but I thought it was an amusing story.

dianedale

Re: expanding palate 8mm without surgery possible?

#11 Post by dianedale »

i am over 40 and I used a device called the Homeo Block. It takes a bit longer but well worth it. I am at 8MM expansion and going strong. ABSOLUTELY no tipping or effects on the angle of my teeth. From what I have read there is never really complete fusion of the upper palate at any age and the more forward thinking dentists are beginning to recognize that. That is neither here nor there to me because I am living proof! I want to add a photo but do not see a photo link?

Tokamec

#12 Post by Tokamec »

[quote=dianedale post_id=502436 time=1527610354 user_id=31955]
i am over 40 and I used a device called the Homeo Block. It takes a bit longer but well worth it. I am at 8MM expansion and going strong. ABSOLUTELY no tipping or effects on the angle of my teeth. From what I have read there is never really complete fusion of the upper palate at any age and the more forward thinking dentists are beginning to recognize that. That is neither here nor there to me because I am living proof! I want to add a photo but do not see a photo link?
[/quote]

How are you finding the homeoblock? It's quite bulky I've heard. Are you able to live a relatively nrmal life, I.e. talk to your partner, play with your kids etc. when it's in?

I am hoping to get some expansion in my palate, but keen on finding out more about the appliances on offer. An orthodontist I approached mentioned the ALF appliance.

It worries me how strongly many orthodontists feel about adult palatal expansion and how condescending they are when you mention it, but the results online appear to speak for themselves...

Whythelongfacenay

#13 Post by Whythelongfacenay »

[quote=dianedale post_id=502436 time=1527610354 user_id=31955]
[/quote]

Hi Diandale . thanks for sharing this, it's really good to hear success stories with adult expansion. How long has it taken you to get the 8mm expansion with your device? I'm 37 and about to embark on upper jaw expansion via an ALF appliance, it's a semi rapid palate expander that I've been told I'll need to wear over the next 6-8 months. Hoping for about 5mm expansion (inter molar width is 32mm currently, hoping expander will get it to 37-38mm).

Metalmouth33

#14 Post by Metalmouth33 »

Is there an expansion device which has the option to only push the front of your mouth, and not push the sides?

I previously had a sarpe but there is over-expansion on one side. My bite relapsed a bit shortly after my braces came off, so I'm wondering if someone knows of an expansion device which only tries to push the mouth forward if that's what you want.

DoubleJawOrthoCrowns

#15 Post by DoubleJawOrthoCrowns »

=Whythelongfacenay

How long have you had the Homeo Block and hows it going? How long will your expansion take? Where is your dentist/ortho located?
To attach pics you can click on the “add files” button under the “attachment” tab below the msg box when you’re typing your reply! Hopefully that makes sense.