Why do some people get all their appliances all at once, whereas others get them gradually?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

StripedComet91

Why do some people get all their appliances all at once, whereas others get them gradually?

#1 Post by StripedComet91 »

So, I have noticed that some of my friends have gotten braces on their bottom teeth first, then, a few weeks later, get it on their top teeth, and then get elastics a few months later. On the other hand, I got all of them on at once. Is there a reason for this difference, or is it just based on the opinion of the orthodontist?

assertives

Re: Why do some people get all their appliances all at once, whereas others get them gradually?

#2 Post by assertives »

Because not everyone is the same. Different people have different problems that needs correcting, and different people's teeth fit differently and hence may or may not need to work or correcting first before elastics, and yes, also sometimes, different orthodontist's have different style or approach to treatment.

DB27

Re: Why do some people get all their appliances all at once, whereas others get them gradually?

#3 Post by DB27 »

I got my bottom braces 8 months after I had the uppers fitted. The reason for this is that my bite was very closed up (i.e. if they would have fitted the bottom braces in the same time I would not have been able to close my mouth - my upper teeth would have hit the bottom brackets).

Zoidberg

#4 Post by Zoidberg »

I was wondering the same thing because I got my top braces first but didn't get the bottom ones for a couple of months. I also had to have a bite plate fitted before I could get my bottoms, to stop me from biting off the bottom brackets.

Other people I know have got all their braces fitted at the same time. I almost wished I had had it all done at once because then it would be like getting all the discomfort over in one go. On the other hand it might be easier to only have to deal with one half of your mouth being newly braced at once!

I guess everyone is different, every orthodontic treatment is different and peoples teeth and jaws change and move at different rates, so I suppose there's no right or wrong order or time to get braces, some people will get everything at once, others in stages when the orthodontist decrees that its appropriate.

Zoidberg

#5 Post by Zoidberg »

Sounds like you had a similar situation to me DB27, although I was told I needed the bite plate, I wonder if just waiting 8 months for the top braces to start working their magic would have worked instead, it certainly would have been less hassle! :-)

DB27

#6 Post by DB27 »

I still have some blocks on my back teeth that prevent my mouth from completely closing so my front upper teeth don't get worn out by the lower brackets. (although they do not touch at all anymore)

Orthodontist said that I would not need the lower ones for long so it didn't matter.

To be honest I completely hate the lower braces so not having them for 8 months was great.

Zoidberg

#7 Post by Zoidberg »

Funny, I found my bottom braces much more uncomfortable than the top when they were first fitted, I was actually quite shocked because the top ones seemed almost easy, and though I had very sensitive teeth and the usual mild pain trouble chewing, they really weren't too bad, so when the lower ones were agony in comparison, I got a bit of a culture shock.
I suppose it didn't help with the shock / discomfort factor that I got the dreaded bite plate at the same time, its easily been the worst thing about braces so far, I absolutely hate it, the arches on their own I could live with, or even the blocks on molars, maybe.

What do you hate about your lowers, just the usual discomforts?
I find my lower brace looks much worse than the upper one to be honest, its like a lot of metal crammed into a smaller space or something, and it makes my bottom lip sit out / slightly open involuntarily.

Still, we're doing all this for the right reasons and it'll be worth it in the end right? :)