Braces + Getting Pregnant

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

eniamrehc

Braces + Getting Pregnant

#1 Post by eniamrehc »

I'm three months into my braces, and am planning to try for a second baby. Planning because my first pregnancy wasn't a walk in the park so I'm kinda worried, but my biological is ticking so I kinda don't want to wait till I'm done with my braces before trying for a baby.

Anyone out there who are pregnant with braces or who have had babies with braces? I'd love to hear your experiences and/ or any advice you have!

djspeece

Re: Braces + Getting Pregnant

#2 Post by djspeece »

I searched this forum on pregnancy and found these results: search.php?keywords=pregnancy&fid%5B0%5D=13 Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

VMC296

#3 Post by VMC296 »

I'm 31 and am planning on my first baby like...SOON...within the next year...but I also want to get braces. I feel like I might just do it. What are you thinking?

eniamrehc

#4 Post by eniamrehc »

@djspeece
Thank you! I did do a search on this forum and got similar results, but the posts are mostly from years ago, so I thought to ask to see if there are any new experiences or insights. Appreciate your help!

@VMC296
You feel like you might just get braces? or try for a baby? or do both? :D

I'd wanted to straighten out my teeth since forever, but there always seemed to be more important things to use that money for; college, house, car, baby, etc. And then my opportunity came when I had a toothache that turned out to be sensitivity caused by a cracked tooth which required a root canal, but the tooth may fall apart during treatment, which would then require an extraction and an implant, and so I asked my dentist if I could get it extracted and straighten out my overcrowded mouth instead, and an appointment with the orthodontist was made and I'm now wearing braces for 3ish months!

Getting pregnant while having braces was one of the questions I asked during the consult with my orthodontist and she was all “yea! why not?”

Then I googled and read mixed experiences; some had to stop their treatment mid pregnancy, some had pregnancy gingivitis, but there were others who breezed through their pregnancy while with braces and loved the experience. I guess every pregnancy is different, and so is every orthodontic treatment, but I thought I’d like to know the worst that could happen so I’m able to mentally prepare myself? Ha.

All that being said, I think I might just go ahead and try for a 2nd one because who knows? I might end up pregnant only after my braces are removed!

ShiningCity

#5 Post by ShiningCity »

I could see delaying braces if you were already pregnant... but delaying a pregnancy because you have braces?

alwaysabc

#6 Post by alwaysabc »

[quote=eniamrehc post_id=501691 time=1524353802 user_id=31653]
@djspeece
Thank you! I did do a search on this forum and got similar results, but the posts are mostly from years ago, so I thought to ask to see if there are any new experiences or insights. Appreciate your help!

@VMC296
You feel like you might just get braces? or try for a baby? or do both? :D

I'd wanted to straighten out my teeth since forever, but there always seemed to be more important things to use that money for; college, house, car, baby, etc. And then my opportunity came when I had a toothache that turned out to be sensitivity caused by a cracked tooth which required a root canal, but the tooth may fall apart during treatment, which would then require an extraction and an implant, and so I asked my dentist if I could get it extracted and straighten out my overcrowded mouth instead, and an appointment with the orthodontist was made and I'm now wearing braces for 3ish months!

Getting pregnant while having braces was one of the questions I asked during the consult with my orthodontist and she was all “yea! why not?”

Then I googled and read mixed experiences; some had to stop their treatment mid pregnancy, some had pregnancy gingivitis, but there were others who breezed through their pregnancy while with braces and loved the experience. I guess every pregnancy is different, and so is every orthodontic treatment, but I thought I’d like to know the worst that could happen so I’m able to mentally prepare myself? Ha.

All that being said, I think I might just go ahead and try for a 2nd one because who knows? I might end up pregnant only after my braces are removed!
[/quote]

My ortho told me not to put my life on hold because of my braces, and after the last 18m, I agree and endorse it! I had my braces fitted in my first trimester, and wisdom teeth removed in my second... it was interesting but easier to deal with than with a newborn + my other children :)

My teeth responded well and moved rapidly during the pregnancy and beyond, the only difficulty I really had was keeping on top of pristine oral hygiene when thoroughly sleep-deprived. There are some schools of thought that teeth move faster because of the pregnancy hormones that loosen all joints to make room for the baby (and why dental care is so important during pregnancy). I went on to have my jaw surgery earlier than anticipated and am hopefully not too far away from the end of my brace journey, so maybe there is something in that.

Hope this helps, happy to answer any questions.