Finding it really hard to stay positive

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dogbert

Finding it really hard to stay positive

#1 Post by dogbert »

5 weeks post op BSSO/Lefort 2-piece and I dont feel even remotely myself yet. Remaining swelling is very slowly going away (im assuming) although I cant notice it. But most of all is the numbness. Since day 1 post op my entire chin and bottom lip have been completely without sensation and it hasnt changed at all, I have some sensitive teeth (someone explain to me how that even works with total numbness) and get tingling with movement here and there but for the most part it just feels dead. My upper lip/nose is very slowly getting less numb (although its had some kind of sensation from as early as week 1) but it still feels really weird and tight (maybe cause of scar tissue).

This almost unchanging frozen feeling in my face makes me feel like I basically just got out of surgery, and that my recovery efforts have been for nothing, and thats super depressing. I feel like a disabled person, except its supposed to be getting better but its not. Energy wise i feel normal, but as far as how my face/head feels and how my lifestyle is it feels like im not recovering at all. I still find it tough to talk and have a lisp, I cant drink anything except water out of a cup cause it will make to much mess. My surgeon tells me everything's fine, but do people really still feel like this 5 weeks out? Like if it wasnt for the fact that most the swelling is gone, if u just asked me how I feel I would be tell you I feel pretty much how I felt in week 1 or 2.

Anyone else feel like this? Is the recovery actually just THIS slow?? I had quite alot of movement, does that change recovery speed? 10mm BSSO advancement, lefort expansion and 5mm upwards.

Thanks for any advice/replies

EmilyTravels

Re: Finding it really hard to stay positive

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

I can't help re. your specific surgery questions, but I did want to share that I had numbness in my bottom lip left half and down to my chin on that side, numbness inside my mouth around the bottom left molars and gums (couldn't feel that area when I brushed), and yet my bottom left incisors were SUPER sensitive -- all at the same time. I have no idea why that would be, but I guess it must be normal!

My numbness resulted from fracturing my jaw in a bike accident rather than surgery. Obviously my mental nerve on that side took a hit and was damaged. It is a slow recovery back to regain feeling, but I am now 11 months out and I'd say about 90% of the feeling is back. It may never be back 100%, but I rarely even think about it any more, so I can live with this. I only notice it if I specifically run my fingers across that part of my chin lightly, and the sensation feels a bit tingly. But I can feel my fingers touching the area! At first, I couldn't feel them at all. I did get some tingling as I was recovering, but it certainly wasn't constant. Sometimes the area just felt dead.

I wish you the best in your recovery. Five weeks is still very early with as slow as nerve regeneration/growth is, so try not to give up hope! :heart:

dogbert

#3 Post by dogbert »

EmilyTravels wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:16 pm I can't help re. your specific surgery questions, but I did want to share that I had numbness in my bottom lip left half and down to my chin on that side, numbness inside my mouth around the bottom left molars and gums (couldn't feel that area when I brushed), and yet my bottom left incisors were SUPER sensitive -- all at the same time. I have no idea why that would be, but I guess it must be normal!

My numbness resulted from fracturing my jaw in a bike accident rather than surgery. Obviously my mental nerve on that side took a hit and was damaged. It is a slow recovery back to regain feeling, but I am now 11 months out and I'd say about 90% of the feeling is back. It may never be back 100%, but I rarely even think about it any more, so I can live with this. I only notice it if I specifically run my fingers across that part of my chin lightly, and the sensation feels a bit tingly. But I can feel my fingers touching the area! At first, I couldn't feel them at all. I did get some tingling as I was recovering, but it certainly wasn't constant. Sometimes the area just felt dead.

I wish you the best in your recovery. Five weeks is still very early with as slow as nerve regeneration/growth is, so try not to give up hope! :heart:
Thanks for the encouragement. How did the feeling come back? Did places slowly gain more sensation (gradual improvement) or was it more like the dead zone slowly shrank and closed in on itself? Also when did you start to notice improvement after your accident? Cause I would say my chin/bottom lip have basicallt remained the same since day 1 post op.

bssobo

#4 Post by bssobo »

I had a bsso 6 1/2 weeks ago and still haven't regained any feeling back in my chin and lower lip. Just like you my entire chin and lower lip have remained completely numb since day 1 post op without any improvement at all.

The doctor says the nerve can take several months to a year to heal, but also says there is a chance that it could be permanent(which sucks because she never discussed the risk thoroughly, she was pretty unconcerned about it even).

I read a paper published online during my recovery that the larger the mandibular advancement the higher the chance of nerve damage.

I'm sorry that I can't be of much of help with the experience of regaining feeling but I am letting you know that you're not alone and I suggest you take a b complex vitamin to help with the recovery of the nerves.

EmilyTravels

#5 Post by EmilyTravels »

dogbert wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:20 pm Thanks for the encouragement. How did the feeling come back? Did places slowly gain more sensation (gradual improvement) or was it more like the dead zone slowly shrank and closed in on itself? Also when did you start to notice improvement after your accident? Cause I would say my chin/bottom lip have basicallt remained the same since day 1 post op.
I think it was just a gradual improvement. At first the numbness was very noticeable, and I think it was a few months out before I started feeling any improvement at all. I did feel some tingling from time to time (not constant) during the first few months after my accident, which my oral surgeon said was a "good sign". After those first few months, it was just a gradual, almost unnoticeable improvement, but at some point I poked at my gums inside where they'd been numb and realized I could feel it. The interior numbness resolved before the exterior (lip, chin). But over time I'd run my fingers over my lip and chin and realize that I was starting to be able to sense it. It was subtle but got better and better over the months. I honestly never thought it would come back, just like you, but it has, at least in good part. I'd say my lip is about 95% back and left side of my chin (below the lip) is maybe 75%. Whether it will ever feel 100% like the other side, I still don't know.

From everything I read, the nerve grows back very very slowly, but unless it is completely severed, you will get sensation back. It can be crushed, for instance, but not severed. When my oral surgeon told me that I would most likely get sensation back, I wasn't sure if I believed him, but he was right.

ObsidianGT

#6 Post by ObsidianGT »

[quote=EmilyTravels post_id=501148 time=1522069953 user_id=30228]
From everything I read, the nerve grows back very very slowly, but unless it is completely severed, you [i]will [/i]get sensation back. It can be crushed, for instance, but not severed. When my oral surgeon told me that I would most likely get sensation back, I wasn't sure if I believed him, but he was right.[/quote]

This last part is very good information! I'm almost 4 weeks post op from L1+BSSO and one of the first questions I asked my surgeon post op was how were my nerves? He said fine, no severed nerves and that I actually have a big ol' lower nerve (I've never had any complaints before, haha... Ahem. Anyway. :lol: )

BSSO is often associated with bruising and minor damage, to the inferior alveolar nerve, which is the nerve that runs along the lower jaw. Since this is where the osteotomy takes place, yes, there will very likely be temporary numbness associated with the surgery. In such rare cases of a severed nerve, the numbness will very likely be permanent.

What this means is that your surgeon is the best source to determine the possibility of the outcome. I would strongly advise you get their feedback specifically about your nerves.

From there, you can only wait it out however there are many remedies to help accelerate nerve regrowth and repair. I'm still learning about this myself but I've heard positive things about B complex vitamins. If you have any tips on this, please do share.

I found a great, recent (2017) study titled, "On Nerve Function after Orthognathic Surgery" from University of Gothenburg. I recommend reading it. The most interesting part was about perioperative treatment with Betamethasone which, "enhanced nerve regeneration in both motor and sensory nerves."

I don't know if I can paste links but here is the info:

PDF On Nerve Function after Orthognathic Surgery
https://gupea.ub.gu.se/bitstream/2077/5 ... 2417_4.pdf

xjoe28

#7 Post by xjoe28 »

I had double jaw surgery on 10-12-17. You can go through my previous posts to get an idea of what i went/put myself through. The recovery was sheer hell. Once a day or 2 passed and I started realizing what happened and what the next few weeks/months would be like and I was NOWHERE NEAR READY for this recovery prior to my surgery. Physically, disgusting and just utterly terrible. Mentally? I already suffer from daily anxiety since i was younger. During my recovery I was literally losing my mind. I was having panic attacks everyday to the point where I had my alpralozam prescription refilled 1 month into my recovery even though i was still wired shut. I smashed them and put them in water and they helped me settle down a bit. I had so much regret because My face was crooked and the recovery/swelling/changes/return of feeling WERE SO SLOW. All these things I was worried about and panicking about eventually fixed themselfs. VERY SLOWLY, but they did fix. I wanted to do a lot of things, but I remember telling my Mom about 10 weeks post op that i just want that "normal" feeling back. I just want to feel "myself" again. I did not even begin to get that feeling until the 4th month.

Well here I am 6 months post op. My surgeon has cut me off. My range of motion is fine. Screws and plates and braces are still in. But I am just now "fitting in" to my new face and just now getting that "normal" or "myself" feeling back. It took me a couple months to get used to my new look. But me and my Family are completely used to it. Ive grown a sick beard and Im very happy with my results. The best choice I made was to go to the most reputable surgeon in this field in my area. You will not go wrong if you deal with the best. The left side is still 50% numb and is coming back SO SLOW that its unreal. But super slow feeling returning means that it will eventually return and wont be permanent. I have no permanent numbness. But I am 6 months post op and eating is still not "normal". I can eat whatever I want but my jaw gets tired if I eat something like a sub or a burger and sometimes I am too tired or lazy to go through all that so Ill have some rice and chicken or something less strenuous on my jaw. My jaw actually feels stronger then before. Probably because of the screws and plates.

Look man. Its not going to be easy. You have a long way to go. But it feels like just yesterday i was driving myself to the hospital for surgery. I went through hell and back, BELIEVE ME. But here I am. Its all worth it. Just keep yourself busy, do what your surgeon says and avoid bumps or hits to the jaw. Youll be at where I am soon enough. Stay strong my friend. Contact me anytime.

SLG70

#8 Post by SLG70 »

dogbert, how are you? I am feeling just like you.

I am 9 weeks post-op (double jaw surgery to correct a crossbite and underbite). I am 47 and was told recovery would be harder as I'm older than the average patient, apparently (rude :lol:) but I was in no way prepared for how tough the recovery process is.

My face is very 'ape' like, the swelling does not appear to be improving, and I'm totally regretting my decision. I look horrible. I felt a little attractive before, but now I look like an ape-like freak. I also have uneven swelling, with a kind of lumpy area on my lower right jaw.

I went back to work last week and colleagues were very negative, asking when the swelling will go and when will I look normal again - which has knocked my (already low) confidence. Nobody has been positive (apart from my ortho).

I really wish I'd never had the operation.

glennstanzalone

#9 Post by glennstanzalone »

I was swollen for a full year. Had a wonky smile until a year and a half. Still can't feel most of my chin/lower lip but I get tiny improvements. Give it time.
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

Denise

#10 Post by Denise »

[quote=SLG70 post_id=502728 time=1529003416 user_id=32039]
dogbert, how are you? I am feeling just like you.

I am 9 weeks post-op (double jaw surgery to correct a crossbite and underbite). I am 47 and was told recovery would be harder as I'm older than the average patient, apparently (rude :lol:) but I was in no way prepared for how tough the recovery process is.

My face is very 'ape' like, the swelling does not appear to be improving, and I'm totally regretting my decision. I look horrible. I felt a little attractive before, but now I look like an ape-like freak. I also have uneven swelling, with a kind of lumpy area on my lower right jaw.

I went back to work last week and colleagues were very negative, asking when the swelling will go and when will I look normal again - which has knocked my (already low) confidence. Nobody has been positive (apart from my ortho).

I really wish I'd never had the operation.
[I had upper jaw surgery and it took 6 months for the swelling to go down, I am 49, I had the surgery May 2017. It's very hard but what is our choice now? We have to keep going and it will get better, it just takes a long time, hang in there. /quote]