Dental wires are poking into my cheeks - Need advice for orthodontic treatment!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

athenalewi

Dental wires are poking into my cheeks - Need advice for orthodontic treatment!

#1 Post by athenalewi »

I got my dental braces one month ago. Three weeks, after I got my braces, my lower premolar started to hurt. It hurts very badly when I chew food. It made some popping sensation when I bite. I visited a nearby dental clinic. But the dentist said that it is normal to have pain after getting dental braces. Is it true? It's been two weeks since I have visited the dentist. Still, it hurts and makes popping sensation. And some of the wires poke into my cheeks and it is hurting. It is causing me discomfort. I am not able to open and close my mouth as they are poking into my jaws and cheeks. I am really worried and paranoid. I am considering to visit an emergency orthodontic care in Toronto( http://www.emergency-dental-365.com/pro ... emergency/ ). Has anyone here faced a similar situation? Is there anything to be concerned about? Please give in your valuable suggestions!

ElizabethMae

Re: Dental wires are poking into my cheeks - Need advice for orthodontic treatment!

#2 Post by ElizabethMae »

Having one or more teeth randomly hurt is completely normal! As for the wires, you can put dental wax on them for the short term to stop them from poking you, and then give your ortho a call. You should be able to go in and have them cut the ends of the wire off so they're not hurting anymore.

Hang in there! All this will seem normal after a few months. Good luck!

assertives

Re: Dental wires are poking into my cheeks - Need advice for orthodontic treatment!

#3 Post by assertives »

Yes it's normal to get pain on different teeth pretty much anytime during the course of treatment. Also, the teeth don't all hurt at the same time, some more so than others and some not at all. As for the poking wire, give your ortho a call. They should be able to have you in to trim the wire. In the meantime, put some wax on it and hang in there! It really does get better.

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

Yes, as the others have stated these sensations and discomforts are to be expected, and with time you will become more comfortable with them. The issue with the wires is very common, almost universal. Use dental wax liberally at the pain points. It will get better.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

athenalewi

#5 Post by athenalewi »

Thank you all for your valuable replies. I would like to know whether I can purchase the dental wax from pharmacy?

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

Yes, in the US it's located in the aisle with toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

assertives

#7 Post by assertives »

You can also get it from your ortho during your next visit free of charge!

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

You can find dental wax in most pharmacies (at least that's true in the US).

This product works very well for wires poking into the back of your cheeks (it's hard to get wax to stick there). It's relatively new and sticks to the poking wire quite well:

https://www.dentakit.com/orpaof12.html
Orthodots_12Box_Composite_7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!