How often post-op see surgeon?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DroolQueen

How often post-op see surgeon?

#1 Post by DroolQueen »

Please let me know

DroolQueen

Re: How often post-op see surgeon?

#2 Post by DroolQueen »

Specifically, how often was it expected that you would check in and get examined and have x rays done? My office seems to be holding back and weaseling out of every post op appt. they had initially promised.

What was the routine for each of you

xjoe28

#3 Post by xjoe28 »

i had surgery in october and only had 1 appointment for x rays about a week or so after the surgery.
Ever since then i seen my surgeon id say 5 times. He just looks inside and tells me when i can change my diet.

tdc10

#4 Post by tdc10 »

My surgeon typically schedules visits 1-week, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year post-op. A CT scan was taken 24 hours after the surgery, no x-rays. I'm told another CT may be taken at 6 months or 1 year post-op.

DroolQueen

#5 Post by DroolQueen »

Thanks for the replies, the reason I ask is because I had a X-ray done literally the next morning after the surgery, and then one week later (2 weeks) I just had my surgeon tell me to open my mouth and bite into the splint and telI me I could take my splint out by the 4th week. I was rushed because they were so busy; and specifically he felt rushed. I want to have a “make sure” appointment on the 3rd week and ask for a second x Ray, because i don’t want to take the splint off too soon if anything has shifted since the initial x Ray the day after surgery. Does making this “double checking” x- Ray appointment before removing the splint seem reasonable?

tdc10

#6 Post by tdc10 »

I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask and express your concerns - I would expect that your surgeon would either accommodate your request for an addt'l x-ray or better explain the typical recovery timeline and go over your prior x-ray. It may be that 1-2 addt'l weeks may not be a long enough period for any apparent changes in an x-ray (I'm no expert, though!). You've gone through a major surgery and should have peace of mind about how your recovery is going. I'd say come prepared with all of your questions, make sure you get an answer for all of them, and ask for a review of your x-ray(s) so that you learn more about your progress. Best of luck!