Canine Substitution With Impacted Canines and Extraction of Lateral Incisors, Aged 47 3/4

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EyeSpy21

Canine Substitution With Impacted Canines and Extraction of Lateral Incisors, Aged 47 3/4

#1 Post by EyeSpy21 »

I was here in 2005-6, watching Joplin's progress through impacted canine removal and straightening of lateral incisors. I had been advised to have similar, but attention was diverted elsewhere as I switched archwired for kneeguru. Now, 12 years on, things are a bit more complicated. One of the canines has erupted and I have little bone around the lateral incisor which has become mobile. The plan is canine substitution. Remove both lateral incisors, expose the other canine and bring the canines down.

More worried about extractions and exposure surgery than wearing braces. I have the added bonuses of my dentist of 20+ years retiring before Christmas, periodontitis before I start, and the orthodontist not wanting to take me on at the first appointment. Nothing to worry about, eh?!
2005 Impacted canines resulting in twisted lateral incisor - advised: surgical removal of canines, followed by braces then 'pegging' of lateral incisor root - didn't proceed
2017 L canine erupted, bone loss around lateral incisor - advised: canine substitution by extraction of both lateral incisors, exposure of R canine, braces to position canines

hxdgzx

Re: Canine Substitution With Impacted Canines and Extraction of Lateral Incisors, Aged 47 3/4

#2 Post by hxdgzx »

I had both of my bottom canines impacted in my jaw, and has the surgery when I was 12 in 2015. You’ll be fine! Nothing to worry about, but recovery is a little slow.

EyeSpy21

Re: Canine Substitution With Impacted Canines and Extraction of Lateral Incisors, Aged 47 3/4

#3 Post by EyeSpy21 »

Had a second visit with the orthodontist today, at my dentist's request. He keeps saying he's not trying to put me off proceeding but discussed how risky it would be.
1. active periodontitis could result in losing more teeth than the planned extractions
2. front tooth injured in my teens could turn black (it's only a little off colour at the moment)
3. the impacted canines don't move, or move then stop, and I'm left with two gaps at the front

So it's a lot of money for something which could leave me in a worse position and needing to fund other treatments.

He wants to ensure periodontitis is under control before starting any treatment. Unfortunately, the dental hospital are sooo inconsistent in their treatment this has proved difficult. It's been 1 year and 3 months since I was told I needed more deep cleaning and it's still not happened. One supervisor thinks my cleaning is great and always tries to discharge me, another always treats me as if I'm not doing any cleaning. So currently passed from pillar to post with nothing happening. Hoping my own dental practice can take this over. Until then, he's given me disclosing tablets to help with cleaning. I used them tonight, and nothing to see.

Next stop, dental hospital and my own dental practice in Feb.
2005 Impacted canines resulting in twisted lateral incisor - advised: surgical removal of canines, followed by braces then 'pegging' of lateral incisor root - didn't proceed
2017 L canine erupted, bone loss around lateral incisor - advised: canine substitution by extraction of both lateral incisors, exposure of R canine, braces to position canines