Different SARPE techniques? (USA)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NurseBraceFace

Different SARPE techniques? (USA)

#1 Post by NurseBraceFace »

I'm having SARPE next week and I've seen many many posts about patient's undergoing SARPE in a hospital under general anesthesia. I also see "liquid diet" and "overnight hospital stay" This seems excessive for what my surgeon has described! My procedure will take place outpatient under deep IV sedation, with a recovery time of about a week/week and a half. Are there invasive SARPE procedures that require a hospital stay and general anesthesia? I think many people don't understand that general anesthesia means that you are intubated with a ventilator breathing for you. They think that because they don't remember anything that they underwent GA, when in fact they were simply in a state of deep sedation. So back to my question, are there different techniques for SARPE that require a higher level of care? I'm having trouble finding the answer online!

Konbawa076

Re: Different SARPE techniques? (USA)

#2 Post by Konbawa076 »

There different Sarpe techniques in the sense that there are different types of expender and different ways to expand (both side equally is the most frequent but it’s also possible to expand in one sens right or left (what I did). From what I read the night stay in the hospital is usually prescribed because of the fact that it is better not to move and because of the GA and also it’s a big surgery they break your bones. Isn’t it natural to recommend at least a night at the hospital ?

I read about (I think in this forum) the experience of a guy who stayed awake during the surgery and used a visualization method to relax during the surgery). But as for me I knew I was’t able to do that and as much as I hate chemicals, I needed the surgery and still choose the general anesthesia.

NurseBraceFace

Re: Different SARPE techniques? (USA)

#3 Post by NurseBraceFace »

I’ve done more research and it seems that my OS has chosen a less invasive SARPE technique that doesn’t require general anesthesia or a hospital stay. It seems that there are many different SARPE techniques so it’s not always a “big surgery”. I go in at 10 am and I’ll be home recovering by the afternoon. As a nurse, I’m glad I don’t have to undergo GA and stay in the hospital- especially during this awful flu epidemic! I’ll have my second surgery next year that will be a major jaw surgery and will have to stay overnight in the hospital. Glad the SARPE is outpatient!