Facial changes with braces (not that happy)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

acmoc

Re: Facial changes with braces (not that happy)

#76 Post by acmoc »

my ortho told me the muscles under there atrophy and that leads to this effect. I had braces and experienced the same thing, Later went away once they were removed. NOw in braces again and I have the hollowness again. Do you have molar build ups?

Kidolize

#77 Post by Kidolize »

[quote="Ploppy"]Is there a way to get back to fuller cheeks?[/quote]

Hi! I have the same issue. Do you have any progress?

Kidolize

#78 Post by Kidolize »

[quote="acmoc"]my ortho told me the muscles under there atrophy and that leads to this effect. I had braces and experienced the same thing, Later went away once they were removed. NOw in braces again and I have the hollowness again. Do you have molar build ups?[/quote]

Hi! Im wearing my braces for almost 6 months and the changes on my face are very noticeable. I look so old and long face.. did these happened to you too? And will it be beack to normal!? Thanks.

Kidolize

#79 Post by Kidolize »

[quote="Butterfly39"]Hi button85 I understand what you're saying about facial changes over 5 years, I know without braces I'd look different to 5 years ago but its how I've changed in the last 5 months that's upsetting. I have a photo of me from may this year and I look so round faced and healthy compared to now but I guess I need to accept it and just hope for the best at the end of it all, i have to carry on with it now because of the extractions unfortunately. The orthodontists have all disagreed with me that it's because of braces BTW, I even showed one a photo of me in September and the extra lines around my mouth compared to a photo on day one of my braces but he still treated me like I was imagining it, if I talk to my own orthodontist anymore about it after 2 other opinions that agreed with him he'lll probably think I'm mentally unstable and refuse to treat me but its in their self interest to deny its anything to do with braces as its criticising their livelihood, my orthodontist was quite snappy and defensive the first time I brought it up but has been nicer since[/quote]

Hi! I have the same case. Do you have any progress!? O

iceman

#80 Post by iceman »

Unfortunately, most orthodontists focus almost entirely on straightening teeth and not the consequences thererof.

In my opinion, longer faces could be caused by either or a combination of:
Tooth extractions
Smaller dental arches caused by braces
Teeth being pulled backwards
Softer foods being consumed during treatment

Search for Mike and John Mew Orthotropics. They have some very interesting videos showing how modern orthodontics are making faces worse. There are also tips which might help (or at best not worsen) your condition, the main one being to be able to bring your maxilla up and forwards naturally.