Still swollen at 7 months post op. What the heck?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AlfAteCats

Still swollen at 7 months post op. What the heck?

#1 Post by AlfAteCats »

I had my double jaw surgery + chin implant + mid face implants on June 7. My body rejected my hardware and I had all but one piece removed in August + revision mid face implants (larger). I am still having swelling around my chin. Three weeks ago I was put on antibiotics because my surgeon thought it was a lymph node issue/infection. I was on them for two weeks and I'm still swollen.

Is this normal? How can I help with swelling this far along? Should I bring up anything to my surgeon at my mid-January appointment?

bbsadmin

Re: Still swollen at 7 months post op. What the heck?

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

You say that your body rejected the hardware and you had all the hardware removed but one piece.

Is it possible that you're dealing with an allergy, not an infection? And that that one piece of hardware is still causing an allergic reaction?

Just an idea....
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

AlfAteCats

#3 Post by AlfAteCats »

bbsadmin wrote:You say that your body rejected the hardware and you had all the hardware removed but one piece.

Is it possible that you're dealing with an allergy, not an infection? And that that one piece of hardware is still causing an allergic reaction?

Just an idea....
OH NO. He did mention that he may have to remove the last piece of hardware at my last appointment. I really hope it does not come to that.

Nozzelnut

#4 Post by Nozzelnut »

If it's not a reaction; you can try massage to keep things moving. But; you're technically only 4 months out from your last surgery. It could take up to a year for that to resolve.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

AlfAteCats

#5 Post by AlfAteCats »

Ugh. I'm on day 3 of antibiotics and it's getting WORSE.

AlfAteCats

#6 Post by AlfAteCats »

Welp. Well, it turns out my chin implant has infected biofilm around it. That means surgery #3 to remove it, heavy antibiotics and a month without my chin, and then surgery #4 to place a custom chin/jawline implant.