Getting ready to start my journey!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LegallyKourt

Getting ready to start my journey!

#1 Post by LegallyKourt »

Hello all,

I am new to this board and new to braces (first-timer). I am 25 years old and always wanted straight teeth. My appointment is December 29 to get them on and I am so very nervous!

I am getting the Empower clear braces! Has anyone had them? Heard of them? I can't find much information about them online. Just wondering if I made a good choice in braces...grateful for any insight/answers.

djspeece

Re: Getting ready to start my journey!

#2 Post by djspeece »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to move forward! I don't know much about the Empower brand, other than it is a type of self-ligating braces, similar to the Damon system which I had for three years. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

LegallyKourt

#3 Post by LegallyKourt »

[quote="djspeece"]Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to move forward! I don't know much about the Empower brand, other than it is a type of self-ligating braces, similar to the Damon system which I had for three years. Best of luck to you.[/quote]

Thank you! Did you have a good experience with the Damon system? Could you give me the worst part of it?

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

LegallyKourt wrote:
djspeece wrote:Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to move forward! I don't know much about the Empower brand, other than it is a type of self-ligating braces, similar to the Damon system which I had for three years. Best of luck to you.
Thank you! Did you have a good experience with the Damon system? Could you give me the worst part of it?
The Damon system worked fine for me. One bracket popped off a crown a few days in, but that was easily remedied by using a bracket mounted on a thin metal band which tightly surrounded the teeth. For me the worst thing was having my two year plan stretch to three due to the reluctance of a couple of gaps to close. Apparently I have very thick bones -- as my ortho loved to joke, "Well Dan, some people are just more dense than others!" What a comedian :lol: . The discomfort was not that bad for me, even after a new wire and/or new powerchains were installed. I ate pretty much whatever I wanted (See the thread "Confess Your Orthodontic Sins" for more details on the other reprobates around here.) Of course, with any long term therapy there are going to be days when you think "I am so over having braces" and then you begin to notice cosmetic changes and improvements in your bite and decide that it's not so bad after-all. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

LegallyKourt

#5 Post by LegallyKourt »

[quote="djspeece"][quote="LegallyKourt"][quote="djspeece"]Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to move forward! I don't know much about the Empower brand, other than it is a type of self-ligating braces, similar to the Damon system which I had for three years. Best of luck to you.[/quote]

Thank you! Did you have a good experience with the Damon system? Could you give me the worst part of it?[/quote]
The Damon system worked fine for me. One bracket popped off a crown a few days in, but that was easily remedied by using a bracket mounted on a thin metal band which tightly surrounded the teeth. For me the worst thing was having my two year plan stretch to three due to the reluctance of a couple of gaps to close. Apparently I have very thick bones -- as my ortho loved to joke, "Well Dan, some people are just more dense than others!" What a comedian :lol: . The discomfort was not that bad for me, even after a new wire and/or new powerchains were installed. I ate pretty much whatever I wanted (See the thread "Confess Your Orthodontic Sins" for more details on the other reprobates around here.) Of course, with any long term therapy there are going to be days when you think "I am so over having braces" and then you begin to notice cosmetic changes and improvements in your bite and decide that it's not so bad after-all. Best of luck to you![/quote]

Thanks for your response!! I will suggest/ask my ortho about adding a bracket mount to my crown as to avoid that possibility! Im looking forward to getting started and seeing the changes

Ziggy

#6 Post by Ziggy »

I had self-legating ceramics on the top front teeth and self legating brackets on all the rest. Worked out great although it was often uncomfortable when they had to open and close those little doors that hold the wire in place. And, yes, I was really nervous before I started my journey but I'm really happy with the results and pretty much got used to them in a short time -- and I got mine at 68! Have some dental wax on hand for minor ouchies and you might want to take some ibuprofen before your first appointment and from time to time when you need it. It is surely an adventure that few of us regret. Keep us posted on how it goes.

LegallyKourt

#7 Post by LegallyKourt »

Okay Im back and the braces have officially been on a little over 24hrs. So far, it is not too bad but the pain (mostly from pressure) is more than I expected. I only got the tops on so far and will be going back in 8 weeks to get the lowers put on.

LegallyKourt

#8 Post by LegallyKourt »

Oh, and there seems to be something poking my cheek from my back molar from time to time. Im not sure whether it is the bracket or the wire but I will be calling my Ortho after the holiday to see if I can come in and get it taken care of.

GemmaRVN

#9 Post by GemmaRVN »

Hi legallykourt,
I’m 25 too and starting my journey in a few weeks, how are you finding life with braces?
Hope all is well with you

OccludedCarl

#10 Post by OccludedCarl »

Good luck. I’ve had mine for 1.5 months already. It’s honestly not bad at all.

Ziggy

#11 Post by Ziggy »

GemmaRVN wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:06 pm Hi legallykourt,
I’m 25 too and starting my journey in a few weeks, how are you finding life with braces?
Hope all is well with you
I'm already out the other side with retainers, two years in braces. You get used to it pretty quick and hardly anybody notices, unless you tell them. Ibuprofen and dental wax are your best friends, and don't be afraid to speak up if you have any discomfort. When I first got them I went home and in a few days I realized something was wrong. Called my ortho and it turns out I was being stuck by a wire. Easily solved in five minutes.