Pain issues... Help?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

imtryinghereguys

Pain issues... Help?

#1 Post by imtryinghereguys »

I got new wires, powerchains on both upper and lower, and elastics a few days ago. I've tried to use almost every homemade remedy (e.g salt water rinses, warm compression, cold water... etc), but I still am experiencing extreme soreness and teeth sensitivity. I checked in with the assistant and they said that it would be alright for me to not wear the elastics until I am used to the new type of wire and powerchain. Currently, I am taking Tylenol and eating very soft foods.
What are some tips that can help me alleviate the pain?

assertives

Re: Pain issues... Help?

#2 Post by assertives »

Try adding one drop of clove oil to your toothpaste when you brush your teeth. I do that occasionally when the pain gets a little out of hand and it does seem to take a bit of edge off the pain. For sensitivity, you could try rubbing a pea-sized amount of sensitive toothpaste to the sensitive spots and leave it on for about 10 mins before rinsing off.

ElizabethMae

#3 Post by ElizabethMae »

Have you tried ibprofun? I find that Tylenol does nothing for me but that ibprofun knocks out the pain. Other than that I just hold onto the thought that it's only going to hurt for a few days. I hope you feel better soon!

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

ElizabethMae wrote:Have you tried ibprofun? I find that Tylenol does nothing for me but that ibprofun knocks out the pain. Other than that I just hold onto the thought that it's only going to hurt for a few days. I hope you feel better soon!
Ibuprofen has a specific mechanism of action designed for orthopedic and orthodontic pain -- taken as directed on the label. I've found it works great for dental pain. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Ziggy

#5 Post by Ziggy »

Power chains are the worst. I used Ibuprofen and it worked well for me. Also, when I first got my braces I had a lot of sensitivity and started using Sensodyne which also worked well for me.

Ziggy

#6 Post by Ziggy »

Here's another thumbs up for ibuprofen and sensodyne. Ibuprofen was my best friend through my braces adventure.