Extractions due to protruding gum, teeth, and mouth.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

supwrsueee

Extractions due to protruding gum, teeth, and mouth.

#1 Post by supwrsueee »

I have pretty straight teeth, but was convince that braces will help bring my teeth and gum inwards to prevent my "protruding(mounted)" mouth look from my profile, and the dimpling on my chin when resting my face. My mouth protrudes so much that I have always been so insecured about it. I went to see my othodontist about two months ago, and he stated that by extracting my four 1st premolars (2 on top, and 2 bottom), it'll help bring it inwards, and balance my face. Fast forward to two weeks ago, I finally went in to get my 4 1st premolars extracted, and because my dentist told me they were strong healthy teeth, I am starting to regret the decision. I don't have crowding teeth. When I smile, it shows excessive gum, and you can see my gum protruding, which is why I think my lips lifts really high up when I smile or laugh. I have not found one article related to my condition either, and hoping someone can relate to my situation. Sorry if I don't make any sense, but I am very very anxious about it.

Is it possible to bring your gum inward without an upper jaw surgery? How long will it take to close my gaps? Do you think my treatment is possible?

Lovespain5

Re: Extractions due to protruding gum, teeth, and mouth.

#2 Post by Lovespain5 »

supwrsueee wrote:I have pretty straight teeth, but was convince that braces will help bring my teeth and gum inwards to prevent my "protruding(mounted)" mouth look from my profile, and the dimpling on my chin when resting my face. My mouth protrudes so much that I have always been so insecured about it. I went to see my othodontist about two months ago, and he stated that by extracting my four 1st premolars (2 on top, and 2 bottom), it'll help bring it inwards, and balance my face. Fast forward to two weeks ago, I finally went in to get my 4 1st premolars extracted, and because my dentist told me they were strong healthy teeth, I am starting to regret the decision. I don't have crowding teeth. When I smile, it shows excessive gum, and you can see my gum protruding, which is why I think my lips lifts really high up when I smile or laugh. I have not found one article related to my condition either, and hoping someone can relate to my situation. Sorry if I don't make any sense, but I am very very anxious about it.

Is it possible to bring your gum inward without an upper jaw surgery? How long will it take to close my gaps? Do you think my treatment is possible?
I suffered from the same situation as you (bimax protrusion, lip incompetence, nice teeth but toothy smile) but I didn't have specially big gums. My 4 first premolars had been extracted to be able to close my mouth properly and to get a balanced face. I wore my braces for 32 months (18 months with elastics) and the gaps have been closed after 24 months into treatment.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

supwrsueee

#3 Post by supwrsueee »

[quote="Lovespain5"][quote="supwrsueee"]I have pretty straight teeth, but was convince that braces will help bring my teeth and gum inwards to prevent my "protruding(mounted)" mouth look from my profile, and the dimpling on my chin when resting my face. My mouth protrudes so much that I have always been so insecured about it. I went to see my othodontist about two months ago, and he stated that by extracting my four 1st premolars (2 on top, and 2 bottom), it'll help bring it inwards, and balance my face. Fast forward to two weeks ago, I finally went in to get my 4 1st premolars extracted, and because my dentist told me they were strong healthy teeth, I am starting to regret the decision. I don't have crowding teeth. When I smile, it shows excessive gum, and you can see my gum protruding, which is why I think my lips lifts really high up when I smile or laugh. I have not found one article related to my condition either, and hoping someone can relate to my situation. Sorry if I don't make any sense, but I am very very anxious about it.

Is it possible to bring your gum inward without an upper jaw surgery? How long will it take to close my gaps? Do you think my treatment is possible?[/quote]

I suffered from the same situation as you (bimax protrusion, lip incompetence, nice teeth but toothy smile) but I didn't have specially big gums. My 4 first premolars had been extracted to be able to close my mouth properly and to get a balanced face. I wore my braces for 32 months (18 months with elastics) and the gaps have been closed after 24 months into treatment.[/quote]

Thank you so much for responding. It has been over a month since I've had my extractions and I am starting to worry about it. The gaps has not close a bit, and they still look the same. I cannot wait until I start seeing progress.

buffon85

#4 Post by buffon85 »

i had 3 of my extractions closing slowly and nice and i also had an extraction that had me really worried, i could not see any progress and in one month it was almost completely closed. so you cannot predict the progress. you have to be patient :D

bottom premolars extractions: 9th of June 2015
top premolars extractions: 8th of October 2015

assertives

#5 Post by assertives »

I think it also depends when your ortho decide to start working on closing the gaps? My ortho spent about 6 months working on unravelling the crowding before starting to close the gaps. So I had those gaps for 6 months before starting to see any progress.