Have braces, need jaw surgery but cannot do it currently

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Julyian

Have braces, need jaw surgery but cannot do it currently

#1 Post by Julyian »

Hey guys. So I'm in quite a dilemma.
I'm 22 years old.
I have an overbite and I got my braces in July. I'll be needing them for two years. I don't have any kind of insurance and I'm located in Pakistan (next to India)

My orthodontist says I'll be needing surgery however at this point I cannot afford it. I asked her if I could do it later in life but she refused and said we'll do your extractions based on whether or not we go the surgical route.

Have any of you been in a similar dilemma? Did you opt for jaw surgery later in life when you could afford it and got braces again?

Did you feel that your teeth got messed up again despite the braces treatment because you didn't get jaw surgery?

Konbawa076

Re: Have braces, need jaw surgery but cannot do it currently

#2 Post by Konbawa076 »

Well, I had braces (the one that you can remove ) when i was a teen and the orthodontist removed a tons of teen to make room for my teeth since I had a very narrow and small upper jaw. My parents couldn't afford the treatment at some point so we just stopped going. I grew up in Morocco.

Ten years after, at 26 years young, now that I live in Europe and have insurance. I went to see a dentist then an ortho. And yeah, basically you have to start from zero. I just has SARPE and i'm looking at the second double jaw surgery a year from now.

Maybe as I teen i could avoid jaw surgeries but since you're already an adult, that won't change for you and it may set you back regarding your braces journey but that's all.

If I were you I would try to search if there is any social dental care that can help you, any surgeon or NGO that may do it for free. Or go to the hospital and try to make out a planning for payment. Good luck

Julyian

Re: Have braces, need jaw surgery but cannot do it currently

#3 Post by Julyian »

[quote="Konbawa076"]Well, I had braces (the one that you can remove ) when i was a teen and the orthodontist removed a tons of teen to make room for my teeth since I had a very narrow and small upper jaw. My parents couldn't afford the treatment at some point so we just stopped going. I grew up in Morocco.

Ten years after, at 26 years young, now that I live in Europe and have insurance. I went to see a dentist then an ortho. And yeah, basically you have to start from zero. I just has SARPE and i'm looking at the second double jaw surgery a year from now.

Maybe as I teen i could avoid jaw surgeries but since you're already an adult, that won't change for you and it may set you back regarding your braces journey but that's all.

If I were you I would try to search if there is any social dental care that can help you, any surgeon or NGO that may do it for free. Or go to the hospital and try to make out a planning for payment. Good luck[/quote]

I don't feel comfortable having jaw surgery in my country and I'd much rather do it in Iran or Europe. As far as I know there are no such NGOS that can do it for free.

Are there any surgeons in Europe that accept installments on jaw surgery? I don't have any insurance.

Are there any other folks who were in the same boat as me? As I said I'm 22.