Show of hands if you’ve had a POSITIVE experience post extractions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Etal64

Show of hands if you’ve had a POSITIVE experience post extractions

#1 Post by Etal64 »

I had 4 extractions when I was 16... about 17 years ago. That’s never filled due to multiple reasons. I’m back at it, braces go on in a couple weeks, trying to close gaps, correct a deep bite, and widen my very narrow arches. I’m (still) so upset about the fact I had the extractions and am disheartened by all the cases I’ve seen of people not being able to correct their teeth after this. Someone please Give me a positive story. Tia!

Etal64

Re: Shoe of hamdsbif you’ve had a POSITIVE experience post extractions

#2 Post by Etal64 »

Omg it should say “show of hands”

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

I had four premolars extracted prior to getting braces at age 13. No problems whatsoever, gaps closed with braces, and all was well. Later, in college, I had all four wisdom teeth extracted because the lowers were impacted. Again, no problems. This was many, many years ago, but that really shouldn't matter; in fact, braces technology has improved a great deal since I had them the first time around.

(Back in braces now for a completely different reason: fractured my jaw in a bike accident.)

Etal64

#4 Post by Etal64 »

Thank you! Makes me feel a bit better. Sorry about your accident, hope your heal quickly. My husband got in a dirt bite accident as a teen and his teeth are still... let’s just say “expensive”. Thank god for dual dental insurance.

EmilyTravels

#5 Post by EmilyTravels »

Etal64 wrote:Thank you! Makes me feel a bit better. Sorry about your accident, hope your heal quickly. My husband got in a dirt bite accident as a teen and his teeth are still... let’s just say “expensive”. Thank god for dual dental insurance.
Yes, you are lucky for that. I have no dental insurance so braces are all out of pocket, but looks like my health insurance is going to pay for my jaw surgery -- one of these days. :roll: Appreciate your good wishes! :)

Lovespain5

Re: Show of hands if you’ve had a POSITIVE experience post extractions

#6 Post by Lovespain5 »

Photo of my result after having a treatment with my 4 first bicuspids extracted and elastics because of bimax protrusion and lip incompetence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

Nozzelnut

#7 Post by Nozzelnut »

I won't raise my hand as a positive outcome from extractions; but there are a lot of modern techniques used today that can repair that method of treatment. Implants, double jaw surgery, expanders can all be used to reverse the damage done.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

djspeece

#8 Post by djspeece »

<Raising Hand> I have had multiple extractions over the years with excellent results. The first ones came while on active duty in the Navy (in my mid-20s), when anyone with wisdom teeth that had not erupted had them removed. The theory was that an impaction during a deployment, especially a combat-related one, would hinder the mission. You didn't want to have a dental issue when out in the field in a hostile environment or under the sea. That's when I first learned that I have long roots. I thought it might bestow some sort of super-power, but alas long roots only require super-power on the part of the dentist to get them out :lol: . I had a couple more related to getting braces (in my early 60s) -- one was a tooth that had deteriorated due to a faulty crown, and the other was just jammed in at a weird angle, that every dentist who has ever treated me wanted to extract. Good experiences with those extractions as well, overall. My looks didn't change (sort of unfortunate), and after three years in braces I achieved the desired outcome. My ortho was good at explaining things when I asked. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Beemur

#9 Post by Beemur »

I found out a few weeks back that my brother in law had his two upper first premolars extracted and his right lower first premolar when he was 17, he hated his braces and got them off a year early so he never finished his treatment until now, he's 27 and just finished his orthodontic work. Before the treatment he did have a bit of a flat looking upper lip area but since he got them straightened out he looks so different. He didn't even have a palatal expander or anything like that, he just had traditional braces.
It really is crazy though how far orthodontics has come with what they understand now and what they can do. I had a lower central incisor extracted for my treatment and I can't believe how they've made it look normal in my bottom arch, you'd think having a front tooth gone would be noticeable. High five for advancing orthodontic knowledge :jump: