IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lis23

Re: IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

#901 Post by Lis23 »

[quote="Shelleyt"]Hey all took a break from the forum while I was down on braces progress. The evil impacted canine is no more- I have had it extracted and it will never see the light of day again! The oral surgeon performing the procedure advised that expose/extract should have never been attempted and that it was indeed fused to my jaw bone. So that makes me less than happy with my ortho and first oral surgeon. The extraction procedure was supposed to take 45 mins and ended up being 1 hour and a half due to issues with the tooth being so deep. I had cadaver bone grafted into the extraction site.

I now have way way way (7mm) too much space in the area where the implant will eventually be placed so it will take a long time to close that up. Just got a powerchaIn and new bottom wire this week. No explanation from ortho as to why so much Extra space was opened up in the first place. I know it's common to allow a little extra room for bringing the impacted tooth up, but for me we are talking a whole extra tooth space. After all spaces are closed and braces are off, I'll have the implant placed, but then still have to wait 2-3 months for the crown. So looks like I still have nearly a year of a huge gap where my canine should be[/quote]

Im sorry that happened! Definitely orthos don't know a lot of things. My daughter has an underbite and she automatically recommended surgery. I asked if braces would fix it she was like it might. So we got her braces. It's been about a month and I kid you not her smile has changed and looks better! It's hard to trust some of these orthos.

bracesat41

#902 Post by bracesat41 »

Shelleyt wrote:Hey all took a break from the forum while I was down on braces progress. The evil impacted canine is no more- I have had it extracted and it will never see the light of day again! The oral surgeon performing the procedure advised that expose/extract should have never been attempted and that it was indeed fused to my jaw bone. So that makes me less than happy with my ortho and first oral surgeon. The extraction procedure was supposed to take 45 mins and ended up being 1 hour and a half due to issues with the tooth being so deep. I had cadaver bone grafted into the extraction site.

I now have way way way (7mm) too much space in the area where the implant will eventually be placed so it will take a long time to close that up. Just got a powerchaIn and new bottom wire this week. No explanation from ortho as to why so much Extra space was opened up in the first place. I know it's common to allow a little extra room for bringing the impacted tooth up, but for me we are talking a whole extra tooth space. After all spaces are closed and braces are off, I'll have the implant placed, but then still have to wait 2-3 months for the crown. So looks like I still have nearly a year of a huge gap where my canine should be
That sucks.. sorry to hear. My surgeon told me that you can't tell at the exposure surgery if it will move or not - he dug a lot of bone out he said - but still its not possible to know when doing the exposure. how come you cant get the actual implant put in once the extraction site has healed - so you still have the braces on while that heals.. less noticeable with the space?

Shelleyt

#903 Post by Shelleyt »

bracesat41 wrote: That sucks.. sorry to hear. My surgeon told me that you can't tell at the exposure surgery if it will move or not - he dug a lot of bone out he said - but still its not possible to know when doing the exposure. how come you cant get the actual implant put in once the extraction site has healed - so you still have the braces on while that heals.. less noticeable with the space?
Apparently for a lot of cases it is not recommended to place an implant while braces are still on. So I'll have to not only wait until the extraction heals, but for the braces to be wrapped up. It's supposed to be better to wait until they are off so the implant site is stable. Other cases may be different. The extraction site has to heal for 5 months, then once the implant is placed it's another 2-3 months before the crown can go in. Unfortunately the gap is pretty noticeable for me because I have lingual, so no front facing braces to distract from it. Just hoping the gap can close quickly so we can get this over with. It's been a long 15 months so far and I'm just ready for some progress! Hope everyone else is having better luck with their real canines! Hang in there

UltraViolet

#904 Post by UltraViolet »

Oh! Shelleyt at least your treatment is moving forward now.

Being in 'limbo' is the worst feeling. Good luck with the rest of your treatment.
TickerFactory.com

Shelleyt

#905 Post by Shelleyt »

Thanks UV! You are totally right it is 100% better to be out of limbo and onward! Wish it didn't come at the hefty price tag that this has all amounted to though :D How are you doing?

UltraViolet

#906 Post by UltraViolet »

Honestly, I am stuck at one place but I have mentally checked out for the moment - I want to see where they lead me.

My ortho insists on pulling the tooth down but in my opinion it isn't budging. I have an adjustment on Monday so I will wait to hear what the next step is now.

I hope it comes down on it's own because I am quite broke at the moment but seems like I am going to need something else to help it along the way.

Ugh.
TickerFactory.com

korikelly

#907 Post by korikelly »

Add me to your club...top left canine. I’m sure to have lots of questions in the coming months. Got top brackets 2 weeks ago, ortho said they’ll add a spring to start a space at next appointment. Then the dreaded surgery. How often is this unsuccessful do you think?

Shelleyt

#908 Post by Shelleyt »

Welcome to the club, korikelly. Actually perhaps I am now kicked out since I don't have a canine at all! :( :( So I may not be able to extend a proper welcome.

Hang in there UV. I will say the implant process is not cheap (after insurance, the entire implant process will be over 3.5k) so if you have any chance perhaps hold out. If I didn't have funds in my FSA/HSA this year I would have to put it off. Hope your appt went well today. Have they been checking in via xray frequently?

On the bright side, power chains are magical! After I had a new wire placed in Sept and the impacted canine removed in Oct, a lot of unattractive space started opening up between my front four teeth on the bottom. Six days later and its already almost 100% closed up. I had a top powerchain just briefly back in the spring and it didn't have much work to do, so I didn't notice it. But this bottom one is some crazy stuff.

mprazz

#909 Post by mprazz »

Add me to the club as well! My top right caning is impacted :( I had no idea this was such a common thing! Up until I heard I had it, I had never even heard such a thing could happen...

I'll have my braces put on next month. I still have my little baby canine in the place where the impacted one should be, so the space is there (almost, since the baby tooth is slightly smaller, but well, the bulk of the space is there!). My ortho will make a bit more space once the braces are on, and then the dreaded surgery will follow.

She told me I won't have the extraction right away though! She will pull the definitive canine as close as possible before ordering the extraction of the baby canine, which is AWESOME :)

I'll keep posting statuses on the canine, I'm sure I'll have plenty to share / ask!

UltraViolet

#910 Post by UltraViolet »

Yesterday was a trip.

I have power chains on my bottom teeth and my canine is being pulled with so much force my whole mouth hurts. If it does not come out this time, I just don't know what to do.

Just realised I stopped taking monthly progress pictures in April when the progress stopped.

I didn't ask about x rays actually. Next time I will just ask them for that and history of the movement.
TickerFactory.com

strinder

#911 Post by strinder »

mprazz wrote:Add me to the club as well! My top right caning is impacted :( I had no idea this was such a common thing! Up until I heard I had it, I had never even heard such a thing could happen...

I'll have my braces put on next month. I still have my little baby canine in the place where the impacted one should be, so the space is there (almost, since the baby tooth is slightly smaller, but well, the bulk of the space is there!). My ortho will make a bit more space once the braces are on, and then the dreaded surgery will follow.

She told me I won't have the extraction right away though! She will pull the definitive canine as close as possible before ordering the extraction of the baby canine, which is AWESOME :)

I'll keep posting statuses on the canine, I'm sure I'll have plenty to share / ask!
Hi there! You sound very similar to me just a couple of months behind. I had my assessment for the surgery on Friday and it is booked in for January 18th! But I still have my baby tooth in and I actually think that will be taken out very soon which is a bit scary knowing I'll soon have a big gap for who knows how long. At my last appointment, they even discussed whether to prep the gap but decided to wait until my assessment so I think I'll have a spring attached as well.

Were you aware you had a baby tooth when you start looking at orthodontic treatment?

Keep us updated on any updates on the pesky canine!

mprazz

#912 Post by mprazz »

[quote="strinder"]Hi there! You sound very similar to me just a couple of months behind. I had my assessment for the surgery on Friday and it is booked in for January 18th! But I still have my baby tooth in and I actually think that will be taken out very soon which is a bit scary knowing I'll soon have a big gap for who knows how long. At my last appointment, they even discussed whether to prep the gap but decided to wait until my assessment so I think I'll have a spring attached as well.

Were you aware you had a baby tooth when you start looking at orthodontic treatment?

Keep us updated on any updates on the pesky canine![/quote]

Hello hello!

Oh, that scares me BIG TIME! Can't they start pulling the canine into place and wait until it is just behind the baby tooth before extracting it? That's what my ortho said she would do! Because yeah, having a massive gap in the front of your mouth for months is really not a pleasant reality! I will ask on my next appointment if she can really do that.

I forgot to mention another thing though! My ortho did offer to do something else if I felt uncomfortable with the gap in the front: she can put a fake tooth (kind of like a veneer, but not actually attached to my gums, just a tooth-shaped, very thin ceramic tooth with a bracket on it to keep it in place) while we move the damn canine into place! It's not the most glamorous (and since it is not attached to your gums, or anything besides the braces, you may have to be careful with eating with it and all), but if you don't like the massive gap, it can be something to consider.

To finally answer your question: The lil' bugger is why I decided to have braces to begin with! I do have a but of a screwed-up smaile, but I grew accustomed to it over the years. It was when a dentist told me I have to get this canine taken care of because the milk tooth may fall out at any moment (something about baby teeth having shorter roots, because they're not meant to stay in your mouth all your life), that I got scared and finally took the plunge and booked an ortho appointment!
Funny thing is that I never noticed one of my canines was very small until I got an xray done on me, though my ortho notices it the moment I walked into her office ahahah

I'll publish my story on this forum soon, I'm kinda just waiting until I get more info on my next consultation, and also to have more privileges, so that I can upload pictures :) Anyway, I have also been keeping a blog, if you are interested (there are pics of my smile + xray on there) : platinumfangs.wordpress.com

Good luck with your assessment, I hope you get to keep that baby tooth for as long as possible! Keep us updated on how it goes! :)

Mariana

dovhe

#913 Post by dovhe »

My canine is finally on the move!! An adult tooth started growing behind my baby tooth in January. I got braces in April and the baby tooth was extracted at the end of October. This is 2 weeks' progress. I'm really excited that this is finally getting taken care of.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bella0604

#914 Post by Bella0604 »

hi, not sure if this forum is still active but thought I'd share my story for anyone interested/in a similar position (I know it's helped me to read other people's versions whilst going through all this)!
I still had baby canine teeth in 2015 (I was 18) when I got my braces which eventually got pulled out to help make space (along with the braces) for the adult canines to come through. It took a few months but eventually one canine started VERY slowly growing through whilst the other didn't show up at all.
After a year of braces and still no sign of the other canine (the other canine had pretty much grown into place) I was in the process of booking an app. to get it exposed at the hospital when the very tip of it poked through the gums. The dentist (somehow) managed to attach a tiny bracket to the bit of canine that had appeared at the beginning of summer 2017 and it's now most of the way down (only a few mm away from being in line with the other canine). I had an app. on Monday where they put a proper bracket (not a small one) on the canine to match all th other teeth and they've given me elastics to wear which attach to the canine and 2 bottom teeth (in a kind of triangle). I'm not too sure what the elastics are for in terms of the canine (I assumed it was coming down fine on its own) or how long I'll have to have them on for? I'm really hoping I'm near the end now ! It's my 21st in April and I'd love love love to have them off for then aaa good luck to everyone !

Lis23

#915 Post by Lis23 »

[quote="Bella0604"]hi, not sure if this forum is still active but thought I'd share my story for anyone interested/in a similar position (I know it's helped me to read other people's versions whilst going through all this)!
I still had baby canine teeth in 2015 (I was 18) when I got my braces which eventually got pulled out to help make space (along with the braces) for the adult canines to come through. It took a few months but eventually one canine started VERY slowly growing through whilst the other didn't show up at all.
After a year of braces and still no sign of the other canine (the other canine had pretty much grown into place) I was in the process of booking an app. to get it exposed at the hospital when the very tip of it poked through the gums. The dentist (somehow) managed to attach a tiny bracket to the bit of canine that had appeared at the beginning of summer 2017 and it's now most of the way down (only a few mm away from being in line with the other canine). I had an app. on Monday where they put a proper bracket (not a small one) on the canine to match all th other teeth and they've given me elastics to wear which attach to the canine and 2 bottom teeth (in a kind of triangle). I'm not too sure what the elastics are for in terms of the canine (I assumed it was coming down fine on its own) or how long I'll have to have them on for? I'm really hoping I'm near the end now ! It's my 21st in April and I'd love love love to have them off for then aaa good luck to everyone ![/quote]

Thanks for sharing. How many months were you in braces before your first canine poked through? I'm hoping this happens with my son. Lthough he already had the surgery but they haven't started pulling yet. I'm hoping they poke through without my need to activate the chain.