October-December Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kbobonea

October-December Surgery Buddies

#1 Post by kbobonea »

Hello,

I am schedule for November 1, 2017 Double Jaw surgery. I am trying to not panic, but it is coming sooner than I anticipated. Anyone else have upcoming surgery?

sarzo14

Re: October-December Surgery Buddies

#2 Post by sarzo14 »

I get my date next week. I hope it's this year. Good luck to you. I bet I'll be a nervous wreck when I get my date.

drgnfly

#3 Post by drgnfly »

Hi there - I'm scheduled for next Wednesday, Oct 4! I know what you mean - it's really coming up quickly.

sarzo14

#4 Post by sarzo14 »

My surgery is not this year as I've hoped but it's not that faw. I just got my surgery date and it's happening on 15. January. Excited!!

xjoe28

#5 Post by xjoe28 »

I had double jaw surgery 2 weeks ago.
Recovery is not so fun but time goes by. Good luck to you and take care.

drgnfly

#6 Post by drgnfly »

I'm three weeks out - surgery was October 4th - and you are right, it was difficult. But it's gotten better every day. If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to help out. I'm a registered nurse who used to work in the OR, so I've circulated these cases as well.

xjoe28

#7 Post by xjoe28 »

Drgmfly,
I am a very paranoid person and I’m having very bad anxiety 17 days post double saw surgery. Today was my bday and it was the worst bday by far. I’m now 26 yo.

I’m having concerns now because I seen my surgeon and my orthos on Wednesday. They said verything looks good. The orthos adjusted the bands on my right side to a different configuration to fix my open bite in the back.
It’s now Saturday night and I’m noticing my midline is better but my lower jaw is now a tad to the right. Should I be concerned? I see my surgeon this Thursday, but my orthos not for 6-8 weeks. I’m really going through it right now everytime I look in the mirror. Should I call them tomorrow even though they are closed Sunday? Is this normal? If it gets worse what should I do? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much during this toughest time in my life. I’m really emotional and I just want everything to be ok. I’m crushing Xanax in my water to help me but I still can’t help but worry.
Please help.
Thank you so much guys.

Joe

drgnfly

#8 Post by drgnfly »

Hey Joe - I'm so sorry you're having a rough time. I'm going through something similar right now - my midline was off, and I thought it was due to a molar. My jaw surgeon said it was a bicuspid, and my orthodontist said that I just needed to double up the rubber bands on the right side of my mouth. It's been four days of following my ortho's advice, and things have definitely gotten better.

From your message, it doesn't sound like there's a problem, but If talking to your surgeon tomorrow would help you to feel better, then I'd say give the office a call. That's what they're there for. My surgeon's assistant and I were in contact almost every day for the first couple of weeks after surgery via text, and just hearing that what I was going through was normal really put my mind at ease.

Do you still have your splint in? Is the Xanax helping you to feel better?

Hang in there. It may sound trite, but it really does get better.

xjoe28

#9 Post by xjoe28 »

Thank you so much for the reply drgnfly,
I’m sorry for being so ridiculous.
I actually do not have a splint in. Surgeon says I didn’t need it. My surgeon is very highly recommended so I fully trust him. My midline seems to move very slightly everyday from left to right and vice versus. I will let today pass and keep my eye on it and call my orthos tomorrow if I’m still paranoid. In all honesty I don’t know how I would get by withou the Xanax. I do my best not to take it everyday because I don’t want to be dependent on it and have withdrawals at a time like this.

I am just waking up in bed and I’m not sure if I was dreaming or actually doing this, but I was opening my teeth a little bit for whatever reason and I kept waking up and realizing and closing them. Do you think that will be an issue with my screws loosening or anything like that less then 3 weeks post op?

Again I’m sorry for being so ridiculous. I’ve never been so emasculated before in my life. Recovery really is tough on me.

Thank you SO much for your help and I hope you are doing very well yourself.

drgnfly

#10 Post by drgnfly »

Hey Joe - Don't apologize! There's nothing ridiculous about having concerns after surgery, especially a surgery like this. We just went through a really tough experience, and we want to make sure that everything goes well. As for the Xanax, your surgeon's office should taper you off when you no longer need it, which will alleviate most, if not all, symptoms of withdrawal.

Do you know how many and of what weight rubber bands you're wearing now? My surgeon said that "pumping" my jaws like you describe in the first two weeks could be problematic, but once I was only wearing a few rubber bands (instead of the 7+ that I was wearing to immobilize the jaw for the first two weeks) that opening was ok.

I hope you have a good Sunday!

xjoe28

#11 Post by xjoe28 »

I don’t know the weight, but my bands have been changed twice so far so I’m on my 3rd set.
I only have 2 rubber bands in at the moment. 1 on each side. I can easily open my mouth and take pills if I wanted to but I still crush them and blend them. You think I’ll be ok? Nothing severe but I just kept waking up noticing my teeth were just barely open. Should I add another pillow for more height do you think that will stop my teeth from opening at night? I’ve been having so many vivid dreams lately I think because I’m sleeping on my back. So I’m
Hoping it was all a dream but either way I feel fine today(thank God) and I’m hoping it stays that way.
I’m guessing signs of a loose screw would be a new pain?
I see my surgeon later this week but he will not be taking x rays. Will he know if everything is alright still?
Thank you!!!!!

drgnfly

#12 Post by drgnfly »

Oh yeah, I think you'll be just fine with a little opening. I was wearing three of the heaviest weight rubber bands, and my surgeon said it was ok to open my mouth and talk with them in. And your surgeon will definitely know if everything's ok on Thursday without an x-ray. My surgeon tugs on my upper jaw just a little bit, and by that assessment he can tell if the fixation is still secure and how the new bone is forming.

I'm so glad that you're feeling better today. I don't think more pillows are necessary unless they'd make you more comfortable. The big thing right now is being comfortable and getting plenty of rest so that your body can do the work of healing.

Let me know if anything comes up, and I'd love to know how your appointment on Thursday goes.

xjoe28

#13 Post by xjoe28 »

Drgnfly,
Thank you so much for simply responding to me. I am very emotional even though thankfully everything seems to be ok.
We are all in this together and we will get to the other side as time passes by.
May everything go well with your recovery and all your dreams come true. You’re help was wonderful to me you should be proud of yourself to simply bring me relief with a few words.
:heart:

oslume

#14 Post by oslume »

Hi! We had surgery almost on the same date, mine was October 10th and you are right, it's been really rough!

xjoe28

#15 Post by xjoe28 »

Hi oslume
How are you doing now?
Have you had any complications?