Please, anybody's Have Pre-existing fatigue improve AFTER?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

koros

Re: Please, anybody's Have Pre-existing fatigue improve AFTER?

#16 Post by koros »

Oh but now I see you already had the surgery! :shock: :lol:

I am glad it went well!

bbsadmin

#17 Post by bbsadmin »

Thought I'd throw in a comment here. I have moderate sleep apnea (my husband has severe obstructive apnea). We both use CPAPs.

I went through menopause a few years ago, which resulted in a small weight gain, including some annoying fat in the neck area. I started to feel as if I wasn't sleeping well anymore. Went to my sleep doctor. She said that indeed, menopause can cause some visceral fat accumulation in the neck area for women that may make apnea worse. She changed my machine to an APAP and increased the pressure to a range of between 8 and 12 (my previous pressure setting was 7). I seem to have leveled off at a pressure of about 9. So yes, I needed more pressure -- and it was due to menopause.

So, ladies out there with sleep apnea, keep this in mind. As you get older, you may need to get your CPAP pressure re-evaluated.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

EHA

#18 Post by EHA »

[quote="Jbird"]I had my surgery in April. I'm just now getting to feeling almost normal. It's a hard few months to go through. Good news, my airway went from 3 mm to 15 mm. No more snoring, no more sleep apnea. I'm sleeping better
Don't need cpap anymore. Something to think about is when you have chronic sleep problems you get in a lot of bad habits that need to be changed. I'm dealing with some of those, but the surgery helped me and I would do it again. Also I look better, so it was worth it.[/quote]

This is so helpful to see. My airway opening is 3mm sitting upright. I joked with the doctor that maybe he should open it up to 15. :) I've been working for the past year on improving any bad sleep habits. Anxiety seems to be the biggest problem, and I have to believe that's directly related to the apnea.

EHA

#19 Post by EHA »

[quote="bbsadmin"]Thought I'd throw in a comment here. I have moderate sleep apnea (my husband has severe obstructive apnea). We both use CPAPs.

I went through menopause a few years ago, which resulted in a small weight gain, including some annoying fat in the neck area. I started to feel as if I wasn't sleeping well anymore. Went to my sleep doctor. She said that indeed, menopause can cause some visceral fat accumulation in the neck area for women that may make apnea worse. She changed my machine to an APAP and increased the pressure to a range of between 8 and 12 (my previous pressure setting was 7). I seem to have leveled off at a pressure of about 9. So yes, I needed more pressure -- and it was due to menopause.

So, ladies out there with sleep apnea, keep this in mind. As you get older, you may need to get your CPAP pressure re-evaluated.[/quote]

This is very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I've wondered if peri-menopause/menopause worsens apnea for these very reasons. My current CPAP setting is at 7 and the sleep doctor just reviewed it again wants to keep it there. I've wondered if it should be adjusted a bit higher. Did you not have jaw surgery for sleep apnea?

bbsadmin

#20 Post by bbsadmin »

EHA wrote:
bbsadmin wrote:Thought I'd throw in a comment here. I have moderate sleep apnea (my husband has severe obstructive apnea). We both use CPAPs.

So, ladies out there with sleep apnea, keep this in mind. As you get older, you may need to get your CPAP pressure re-evaluated.
This is very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I've wondered if peri-menopause/menopause worsens apnea for these very reasons. My current CPAP setting is at 7 and the sleep doctor just reviewed it again wants to keep it there. I've wondered if it should be adjusted a bit higher. Did you not have jaw surgery for sleep apnea?

No, I never had any jaw surgery. I had braces to straighten my teeth about 15 years ago. At the time, either I didn't have apnea or (if I did I didn't realize it). I've been using a CPAP for about 5 or 6 years. When I got braces I did have 4 teeth extracted. It might have narrowed my airway and caused the apnea. It's hard to say. But if I go more than one night without using my CPAP I REALLY feel the difference. I use a nasal mask, but I got a full face mask to use in case I get sick with a cold or whatever...to use in case my nose is stuffed up. Good to have as a backup.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

EHA

#21 Post by EHA »

Good advice. I struggle to get a good night of sleep using CPAP. Doing everything in my power to take good care of myself and get max benefit from CPAP.