Having double jaw surgery next year (2018) - Question

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

silo789

Having double jaw surgery next year (2018) - Question

#1 Post by silo789 »

Hi guys,

I am due to have double jaw surgery in 2018 (booked provisional consultation_. I wanted to know will I need to have my upper wisdom teeth out? I have already had my lower wisdom teeth out & didn't even think to get my upper set out too.

Thanks in advance

Illogical

Re: Having double jaw surgery next year (2018) - Question

#2 Post by Illogical »

I had a lower wisdom tooth out while having upper jaw surgery (SARPE) because they told me it's best to have it out of the way at least 6 months before the possibility of having to have a lower jaw surgery.

So I suggest you ask that question right away in case it's an issue for your upper jaw surgery.

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

silo789 wrote:Hi guys,

I am due to have double jaw surgery in 2018 (booked provisional consultation_. I wanted to know will I need to have my upper wisdom teeth out? I have already had my lower wisdom teeth out & didn't even think to get my upper set out too.

Thanks in advance
My lower wisdom teeth were impacted, and I thought I'd only need them out as the uppers were coming in fine, but my oral surgeon said all four had to come out; otherwise the uppers would keep growing longer and mess up my bite, as they wouldn't have the lowers to "stop" them from growing. Weird, eh? This was way back in 1980 or so, but I wouldn't think something like this would change in time. Definitely worth asking your dentist/ortho about.

Good luck!

zaynab5

#4 Post by zaynab5 »

I had my surgery in july 2015, when the surgeon did my double jaw surgery he never removed any of my wisdom tooth. Apparantly it didnt come out then however its coming out now and its very painful. I had one removed because my jaw was in the way of it. I didnt ask question at the time of my surgery so i reccomend to ask as much questions u have in mind.

tdc10

#5 Post by tdc10 »

Hi - I am also scheduled to have double jaw surgery in a few months. I had a few consultations with various surgeons, and they all recommended that my two upper wisdom teeth (the only ones I had) be removed, so I went ahead and had the procedure done. I would proceed based on what your surgeon, once selected, ultimately recommends.

silo789

#6 Post by silo789 »

[quote="EmilyTravels"][quote="silo789"]Hi guys,

Thanks in advance[/quote]

My lower wisdom teeth were impacted, and I thought I'd only need them out as the uppers were coming in fine, but my oral surgeon said all four had to come out; otherwise the uppers would keep growing longer and mess up my bite, as they wouldn't have the lowers to "stop" them from growing. Weird, eh? This was way back in 1980 or so, but I wouldn't think something like this would change in time. Definitely worth asking your dentist/ortho about.

Good luck![/quote]

Mine were too. I have nerve damage from my lower wisdom teeth being removed

sarzo14

#7 Post by sarzo14 »

I'm also having surgery in January 2018, all of my wisdom teeeth were alread my extracted. The lower ones had to be extracted since they cut the bone where the wisdom teeth are. But they left one of my upper one, my surgeon said he will extract it during surgery. He didn't explain why but it doesn't have to be before surgery, I guess it can be done during surgery.