Teeth Shifting several years later

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

espressodoll

Teeth Shifting several years later

#1 Post by espressodoll »

I had braces as a teenager (14-16) for an underbite. Post braces I was given a retainer (essix, both upper and lower) and was instructed to wear it all day. And I actually did. I don't remember when but after a retainer checkup I was instructed I could just wear it at night. So that's what I've been doing ever since. I'm 24 now so it's been a long time since I've had braces and I wear my retainer at night 95% of the time. I know it's not perfect, but it's pretty darn close.

The past 2 years I've noticed that my retainer feels really tight to the point of hurting when I put it on at night and it feels like there's stress on my TMJ during the day. Some days its worse than others where it seems like it takes an hour for the retainer to "fit" again. On the other hand, on the rare night I forget to wear it at night my teeth and jaw hurts that second day and my bite feels like an overbite (which is the opposite problem of what I had!). And of course it hurts even more when I put in my retainer that night.

Is this normal? I don't live in the same city as my original orthodontist anymore so I can't just go visit him and see him. I've had the same retainer so maybe it's losing strength? On the other hand, I'm not in a financial position to buy another retainer. My bite feels "crooked" inside my mouth (like my teeth don't symmetrically touch on both sides) but my teeth look straight when I smile and my dentist hasn't said anything. It's frustrating because I've done everything right with listening to my orthodontist and wear my retainer essentially every day almost 8 years later. Could it be possible my teeth are shifting to the opposite problem (underbite to overbite) despite consistent retainer wear?

Felina Grimm

Re: Teeth Shifting several years later

#2 Post by Felina Grimm »

Hm. I've never heard of Essix retainers lasting that long. I was told by my ortho that they should be replaced 6 months to after a year of use because they will wear out and lose strength. I think that is what probably happened to you. Your retainers wore out a long time ago.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

espressodoll

#3 Post by espressodoll »

My orthodontist told me my retainer would be good for life. I even asked my parents and they remember being told my retainer would be good for life.

I'm assuming it's an essix retainer based on the pictures. It looks just like an essix retainer but maybe it's not and it's something stronger? I was a teenager when I got my retainer so I didn't think to ask what type of retainer it was and followed his instructions.

It would sure be a bummer if that's the case since I took a lot of pride in following his instructions very closely. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to go through the orthodontic process again right now so if that's the case and I do need ortho treatment or to buy a new retainer, that will have to wait.

Felina Grimm

#4 Post by Felina Grimm »

Retainer wear is for life, but they do need to be replaced from time to time because they do wear out.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

Snowglobe32

#5 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Espressodoll~ Can you wear them as much as possible, instead of just at night, for a while and see how things go?
It sounds like it could be the wear isn't consistent so when you do put it on, it fits...then when you take it out, turns out to be for too long, than things get out of place. Sounds like they are being pulled into too many directions.

I would wear consistently for as much as possible and see what happens.

jem

#6 Post by jem »

Hi Espresodoll,

It sound as though your teeth might be moving backwards and forwards on a daily basis which can't be good for them. If I were you I would consult a new orthodontist to advise you and supervise a new retention regime. As Snowglobe suggests, this would probably need to be 24/7 retainer wear for a period until your teeth are properly stabilised again. Perhaps this could be done with bonded retainers as well as new clear retainers?Or maybe hawleys would work better for you? I can't see how clear retainers could be good for life or even good for more than a couple of years. Hawleys are more robust and could probably last a few years.

Also if you are having TMJ problems it would be sensible to get some ortho advice.

Good luck,

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

And of course be sure to explain your financial situation -- many orthos are willing to work with you on a payment plan. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying