Grinders and clenchers before braces, what retainer after?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Trickycoolj

Grinders and clenchers before braces, what retainer after?

#1 Post by Trickycoolj »

Curious about anyone who wore a night guard before braces for grinding/clenching, what kind of retainers do you have after? I have had a night guard for 10 years (2 actually) one from hard acrylic the other was hard acrylic on the outside and a soft material on the inside to absorb the clenching force. Had to give them up while in Invisalign for the next 18 mos. I'm curious if former night guard users have to have special retainers, wear both a retainer and guard, something else? I'm on my 4th Invisalign tray and thankfully I can't grind through them like my night guards but I would probably grind through or break a vivera/Essex retainer long term, not sure if I would knock wires off a hawley. Maybe I might stop when everything's straightened up (dentist wouldn't promise or comment on that thought!) so just curious what solutions others are using now post braces. I woke up with a gnarly headache and I suspect I clenched all night making me think of it again.

1993: 4 top brackets, bite plate, lower lingual arch, head gear
2004: 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed
2007: night guard for bruxism headaches
March 2015: Invisalign 35 trays
August 2016: Invisalign 9 trays
http://lineupwithme.blogspot.com/

erin5550

Re: Grinders and clenchers before braces, what retainer after?

#2 Post by erin5550 »

braceface2 wrote:Curious what you found out on this? My child is a BRUTAL grinder and just got a plastic essix retainer. I am wondering how soon she will chew through this thing! I really like the idea of a permanent retainer wire inside the mouth that you can floss between, the V shape ones but ortho said no, bad for gums?
I was told when I get mine off I'm getting a permanent retainer and a night guard. I grind a lot. The orthodontist noticed I've been grinding on my bite plate. I'm worried I'll grind through it. :shock:

FlyByNight

#3 Post by FlyByNight »

I had a clenching habit before braces. Whenever I tried to clench after an ortho appointment, I just got the severe pain of my teeth moving. So the habit went away.

Felina Grimm

#4 Post by Felina Grimm »

By my experience so far, I'd say get Hawleys at least for night time wear. You will gradually destroy your Essix retainers. I clench a lot myself and it seems like I clench more with Essix. I still clench with the Hawleys on, but it's a lot less and I won't destroy the retainers if I do.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

Azul

#5 Post by Azul »

Felina Grimm wrote:By my experience so far, I'd say get Hawleys at least for night time wear. You will gradually destroy your Essix retainers. I clench a lot myself and it seems like I clench more with Essix. I still clench with the Hawleys on, but it's a lot less and I won't destroy the retainers if I do.
Totally agree, I tend to clench more with the Essix than the Hawleys, my Essix got a hole only 6 months after I got them, I would go for the Hawleys