Mouth sores

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

btt

Mouth sores

#1 Post by btt »

I have been on ceramic braces for four months now - I am used to the existence of the braces after the first two weeks... but the problem is - I am the mother of a toddler. I often got hit or bumped into my mouth/my cheek here and there when I am with her. The mouth sores take weeks to recover :(

Any recommendation on how this can be avoided (dental wax hasn't worked very well)?
Any tips for a more speedy recovery?

svar2201

Re: Mouth sores

#2 Post by svar2201 »

Hello!

I am a mom to a toddler too. I am extra cautious when my son comes to me in high speed. It has only been less than a week, so not an expert here. I have noticed that the wax doesn't stick if the teeth/mouth is too wet.. Also, I have showed him my teeth and told him that it hurts so be careful. He told me, "It looks like raisins!". Weird :) Cannot think of any other solution. If you figure out something, please let me know :)

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

Silicone may be an option for you instead of wax -- you can get it as Mack's ear plugs at many drugstores in the US. It never worked well for me though. As far as the wax goes, you may want to use less (smaller globs) which paradoxically worked very well for me. I think the smaller mass left them it vulnerable to be knocked off by my tongue or whatever. You're probably learning by now to anticipate his moves and to get out of the way. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

btt

#4 Post by btt »

Thanks so much for the advice.

Still so painful :(. I feel kind of sad that I can't interact freely with my girl... but I guess it'll be much better when I m no longer in pain.

FlyByNight

#5 Post by FlyByNight »

My cheeks were torn from the day I got braces, to the day I got them off. I tried and tried many times to use wax, or any other tactic to protect my cheeks, but at the end of the day, there was no avoiding the pain.

bracedengineer

#6 Post by bracedengineer »

I haven't tried these, but Dentalkit.com had some things called Comfort Covers. Basically looks like a piece of plastic that covers the braces. Maybe you could try those?

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

bracedengineer wrote:I haven't tried these, but Dentalkit.com had some things called Comfort Covers. Basically looks like a piece of plastic that covers the braces. Maybe you could try those?
Great idea!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying