Anything you miss about braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tyrantblade

Anything you miss about braces?

#1 Post by Tyrantblade »

For those that have completed treatment; is there anything you miss about braces since you got them removed?

I cant say that i will miss much when they are off; but seeing improvements in your smile and bite are great and i cant say that ive ever dreaded going to the Ortho the way i used to hate going to the dentist (i had some dentists that were way too tough during a cleaning; jabbed me with that sharp tool and then my gums were bleeding - not my fault).

Compared to many annoying negatives/cons; most of which are actually pretty minor; the only major ones for me are

Cost

Effort/time involved (mostly when ive had to miss work, but i minimize it by making appointments for late in the day so i usually miss an hour or maybe two from work)

Those days when you cant chew unless you are looking for pain

Elastics/rubber bands; since ive needed them since day one and still do even though im nearing the end

And lately this annoying thing where the bottom part (that little extension thing some brackets have) of a bracket keeps stabbing itself into my cheek when i talk or eat

Minor annoyances would be changing my diet because of having braces because i honestly never ate too many things that i had to miss after getting braces; the only thing ive been wanting more and more is flavored Licorice (Raspberry flavor mostly; which is not a common flavor in stores) and Taffy (laughly taffy); just because i know im supposed to stay away.

I have stopped eating candy almost completely before i even got braces; but when you have to go without eating certain things you may find yourself wanting them so much more badly than ever before.

And im about to give up pizza in a pursuit to lose some weight; i love it and usually eat it daily; so i will hate not eating it except for rare occasions.

But, back on topic; its been a great ride having braces and i cant wait to be fully done with them in November; but as ive said before; its only part of the journey for me, and the other part (dental implants) will probably be just as costly if not more so.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Ravenclaw

Re: Anything you miss about braces?

#2 Post by Ravenclaw »

Well, I still have braces on, but I'm pretty sure that when I get them off I'm going to miss getting comments that I look younger. Braces apparently make me look several years younger. :lol:

Beckett

#3 Post by Beckett »

I think I'm going to miss having someone look at my teeth and tell me how amazing they're looking every month when I go for an appointment. :-* It's a nice confidence boost.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

I miss the flirting from the front desk women at my ortho's office!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

NeilH

#5 Post by NeilH »

I miss the regular appointments at my ortho when I could take 20 mins to just concentrate on me. I know it sounds selfish but with being a manager, father, husband etc. it leaves little time for me but these appointments gave me that time. I also miss the confidence braces gave me and the way so many people interacted differently with me.

Heartofdarkness

#6 Post by Heartofdarkness »

I still have a year left but I think I will miss having a project, something long term that I can follow and see all the changes.

EmilyTravels

#7 Post by EmilyTravels »

Ravenclaw wrote:Well, I still have braces on, but I'm pretty sure that when I get them off I'm going to miss getting comments that I look younger. Braces apparently make me look several years younger. :lol:
I hope I have the same experience! I am 56 so can use all the help I can get. If I have to get traditional brackets, I'm thinking of going with colored ligatures, just because at my age, who cares! Might as well have fun with it, right? :wink:

I have my first consultation on the 21st...eclipse day! :D

EmilyTravels

#8 Post by EmilyTravels »

Beckett wrote:I think I'm going to miss having someone look at my teeth and tell me how amazing they're looking every month when I go for an appointment. :-* It's a nice confidence boost.
I can totally see this! It's great to get positive feedback and feel like you're doing well and achieving something. I never thought about this aspect of getting braces, but now that you mention it, I am going to think positive as I head into this experience! :D

Felina Grimm

#9 Post by Felina Grimm »

I miss my safety net. I want my braces back because I feel my teeth will relapse even with diligent retainer wear. My teeth are loose and I feel they will never be stable again.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

Heartofdarkness

#10 Post by Heartofdarkness »

Felina Grimm wrote:I miss my safety net. I want my braces back because I feel my teeth will relapse even with diligent retainer wear. My teeth are loose and I feel they will never be stable again.
:( Have you just gotten them off?

Felina Grimm

#11 Post by Felina Grimm »

Heartofdarkness wrote:
:( Have you just gotten them off?
It's been 2 weeks since I got them off. It looks like they're staying put for now. I get very paranoid over these things.

Felina Grimm

#12 Post by Felina Grimm »

I also miss changing lig colors every adjustment. And this is going to sound weird, but I also miss wearing elastics.

djspeece

#13 Post by djspeece »

Felina Grimm wrote: And this is going to sound weird, but I also miss wearing elastics.
It does :D
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Azul

#14 Post by Azul »

After 2.5 years of braces I didnt even notice they were there, I was so comfortable with them that I kind of missed them once they were off. I was very motivated through all the process and I didnt mind the extra year I had to wear them.

chandradental

#15 Post by chandradental »

I want to miss my braces a lot, I just implant 2 month ago. never forget to care your teeth .