Hawley doesn't allow teeth to touch

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sandiego88

Hawley doesn't allow teeth to touch

#1 Post by sandiego88 »

I was debraced today and given a Hawley retainer, however, there's a wire that goes over my last molar (biting surface) and it doesn't allow my teeth to touch. like there's a 2 mm gap all the way around. I asked my ortho about it, but he said that it's supposed to fit that way. Anyone else have this issue?

jem

Re: Hawley doesn't allow teeth to touch

#2 Post by jem »

Can you post a picture? One of the benefits of a Hawley is that you should be able to bite both arches together with the Adams clasps at the back fitting neatly around your molars.

Do you have no retainer for your bottom arch at all? I understand that bottom incisors are the teeth most prone to relapse and many people have a bonded retainer to prevent this. You should surely have at least an essix or a hawley for your bottom teeth. I would be inclined to insist on having a retainer on the bottom.

Good luck
Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

sandiego88

#3 Post by sandiego88 »

This is a picture with my teeth closed as far as possible. The back of the wire loops under my last molar so I can't bite down. I asked him about it and he said there isn't anything he could do and I would always bite on wire with a retainer. I feel like it's really wrong. I wish I could go back. I moved cross country the day after I got them off. So frustrated.

sandiego88

#4 Post by sandiego88 »

jem wrote:Can you post a picture? One of the benefits of a Hawley is that you should be able to bite both arches together with the Adams clasps at the back fitting neatly around your molars.

Do you have no retainer for your bottom arch at all? I understand that bottom incisors are the teeth most prone to relapse and many people have a bonded retainer to prevent this. You should surely have at least an essix or a hawley for your bottom teeth. I would be inclined to insist on having a retainer on the bottom.

Not sure why it didn't post the picture the first time. I have a lower permanent retainer from canine to canine, but nothing else.

Good luck
Jem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jem

#5 Post by jem »

Can you post a picture of where the wire goes over your molars? Your teeth look great by the way.

jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Felina Grimm

#6 Post by Felina Grimm »

Mine doesn't either, and the ortho said it was intentionally designed that way and my teeth will still settle. It looks like they're touching, but they aren't.

Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

Azul

#7 Post by Azul »

I am able to bite with my retainers. Congratulations, your teeth look great!