John Oliver had work done and now I am too

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SinkFullOfDinner

Re: John Oliver had work done and now I am too

#31 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

For extra pizazz, steal a cashmere one from you mum and pair it was a dead-eyed stare like I did.
Yeah, that might work out really well for you. Not so much for me. I've got the dead-eye stare absolutely perfected, but I'm rocking a y-chromosome and if I start wearing my mom's turtlenecks I'm pretty sure that I'll still feel like people are staring at me. It would definitely distract from the braces look, but probably not worth it. Thanks anyway for the suggestion. It's the thought that counts!! :wink:

VioletStubbs

#32 Post by VioletStubbs »

SinkFullOfDinner wrote:
For extra pizazz, steal a cashmere one from you mum and pair it was a dead-eyed stare like I did.
Yeah, that might work out really well for you. Not so much for me. I've got the dead-eye stare absolutely perfected, but I'm rocking a y-chromosome and if I start wearing my mom's turtlenecks I'm pretty sure that I'll still feel like people are staring at me. It would definitely distract from the braces look, but probably not worth it. Thanks anyway for the suggestion. It's the thought that counts!! :wink:
You could steal your dad's?

VioletStubbs

#33 Post by VioletStubbs »

So I've had my braces for just over 5 weeks now and I can honestly say that I don't really think about them anymore. Except when I'm flossing. Because that is seventh-circle-of-hell torture. You stand there in the bathroom, in the cold, tired, wanting so badly to get into bed, and you have to spend 20 minutes fiddling around with superfloss, hoping that tonight you won't heave when you're trying to thread the molar band teeth. And the nights you don't floss you go to bed imagining you can feel the build of gunk in your gumline and that you'll wake up in the morning with blackened stumps because you were too lazy to floss the night before.

Other than that, life is peachy. I lost something like 3 kilos in the first few weeks just from not eating crappy snacks (which pretty much all happen to be sticky, crunchy, chewy or just plain full of sugar) but this weekend I've really been craving some bad snacks purely from withdrawal.

One weird thing that shouldn't annoy me (because I'm an alleged grownup and shouldn't be doing it) but really does is that I can't chew my nails anymore. I hate having nails longer than the ends of my fingers and I also can't stand either the feel of nail clippers or the blunt lines and angles they cut, so just biting the suckers off has always worked for me. But now my top and bottom teeth just won't grip the nail so I have to use the damn clippers and my nails are in a sorry state.

I can't see much difference in where my teeth are sitting today as opposed to my brace day, but the wire isn't sitting at such jagged angles now. My first molar, which is banded, has pulled in away from the second molar, which it's kind of freaking me out, because they lined up before and now it's super weird to bite down because the molars have moved a lot. I'll ask my orthodontist about it this week when I go in for my first adjustment. Hopefully it's not an issue.

I've also managed to avoid any major staining of my clear ligs, which I count as a win. But I've avoided that staining because I'm the world's most culinarily boring person- I don't drink coffee or wine or eat curries...basically any foods with pigments I sort of avoid, and I've still got nice clear ligs, so that's pretty cool.

Anyway, pictures:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jem

#34 Post by jem »

Your top wire is so much straighter so you must have had lots of movement-really encouraging!

As to your bottom molar, I don't think it has moved in; I think the premolar next to it has moved out. Your braces will no doubt line all these teeth up properly in due course.
Good luck with your treatment.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194