What do you for pain?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Heidirs

What do you for pain?

#1 Post by Heidirs »

The first few days after getting adjusted are always uncomfortable. Ice cream helps but only while you're eating it.

I've taken to sipping ice water and letting it sit in my mouth. Of course you have to keep sipping because it warms up. But it's the best remedy I've found so far.

Just wondering what other people do besides pain meds.

cauchy

Re: What do you for pain?

#2 Post by cauchy »

Ice cream and popsicles help, but as you said it only helps for a little while. I'll try sipping on ice water!

FlyByNight

#3 Post by FlyByNight »

Holding ice water in my mouth for a while before swallowing.

Eluthiel

#4 Post by Eluthiel »

I have lingual braces, and for me, drinking hot liquids help with pain more than cold. Cold ice cream causes the metal in my mouth to contract and tug at my teeth. I will never give up my ice cream(!!!), but it's such an odd sensation! I'm really trying to avoid taking NSAIDs as I've read they could slow tooth movement.

ProudMama1015

#5 Post by ProudMama1015 »

For pain, I use ibuprofen and then I fill a sock with rice, tie the end with a rubber band and put it in the microwave for 35-40 seconds. The heat helps so much. lol I know it sounds weird, a rice sock, but it works!

FlyByNight

#6 Post by FlyByNight »

I did the same as you. Leaving ice water in my mouth for a bit before swallowing.

svar2201

#7 Post by svar2201 »

I got my ceramic braces last week. I feel sharp pain when I touch my lower and upper front teeth. I try to chew as much as possible with the molars, push the food as far away from the center. If it is too painful, I take a Tylenol.

Cannonfury

#8 Post by Cannonfury »

I took Motrin, as well as had cold drinks. For me, while the pain hurts...the feeling of metal irritating my mouth is much worst...so I use wax.

MetalMouthBraces

#9 Post by MetalMouthBraces »

For me, anything cold usually helps :) Sometimes I massage my gums, and I take pain killers.

Okey2017

#10 Post by Okey2017 »

I take nothing for my pain. I just tolerate it. I have a very high pain tolerance.

Ravenclaw

#11 Post by Ravenclaw »

I took Ibuprofen, and I didn't really feel any pain in the days after getting my braces on. It was uncomfortable, but never painful. The only time I've felt pain is after drinking cold water around 1 month after getting braces. The pain would last for no more than 3 seconds. I noticed there was a gap appearing between my right lateral incisor and canine. Maybe a root got exposed? Luckily, I no longer feel any sensitivity in the area.

Skullzrulerz

#12 Post by Skullzrulerz »

Since i have braces i have been able to tolerate the pain but i used painkillers as well to make as easy as possable

Tac84

#13 Post by Tac84 »

I've not really had pain. Wondering if that's a bad thing. The spacers for my quad helix were sore but brace has been fine.

ItsNever2Late

#14 Post by ItsNever2Late »

I would take Tylenol or ibuprofen before adjustments. I found early on that my waterpik helps massage the gums and increase blood flow. Because of that it had significantly decreased the pain. I recently just skipped a wire size on uppers and lowers plus got stronger power chains on top and bottom. I have some discomfort but no real pain. I would be in the fetal position in a corner if it weren't for my waterpik.

plocon

#15 Post by plocon »

I use klonopin, it truly is a magical drug... but be careful with it. Most doctors are wussies to give them out though.