Waxed floss or unwaxed floss is better with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Smg373

Waxed floss or unwaxed floss is better with braces

#1 Post by Smg373 »

Anyone??

Snowglobe32

Re: Waxed floss or unwaxed floss is better with braces

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I haven't worn braces for years but I just used the unwaxed floss and it was terrible.
Waxed floss is a lot easier to use. The other kind rips easily.

The most important thing when it comes to flossing, is to just floss!

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

How in the world do you floss around wired braces? Invisalign, obviously, you just remove the aligners, but I can't begin to imagine how to get floss up under the gum line with traditional brackets & wires. What am I missing? (Note: I don't have braces yet but will be getting them soon; that's why I am clueless!)

Thanks!

Mpkh

#4 Post by Mpkh »

You thread the floss under the wire and then floss as normal.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

cauchy

#5 Post by cauchy »

I use the same (unwaxed) floss that I used before getting braces: Oral B glide floss. I don't know which is actually better, but I hate the feeling of waxed floss.

Heidirs

#6 Post by Heidirs »

I prefer waxed. The other stuff gets caught in things and rips too easily.

EmilyTravels

#7 Post by EmilyTravels »

Mpkh wrote:You thread the floss under the wire and then floss as normal.
Thanks! I am sure once I try I'll figure it out -- if I get wired braces, that is.

Smg373

#8 Post by Smg373 »

EmilyTravels wrote:
Mpkh wrote:You thread the floss under the wire and then floss as normal.
Thanks! I am sure once I try I'll figure it out -- if I get wired braces, that is.
Flossing is terrible with braces, it takes a lot of time and I only have my top in. I'm sure I'll get better. :)

Smg373

#9 Post by Smg373 »

I also do the threading, but the unwaxed floss is harder to floss with then the waxed that's why I wanted to know if it was ok to just go to waxed instead of unwaxed.

Bracefacemom47

#10 Post by Bracefacemom47 »

I got my braces yesterday. Tried flossing tonight and I can't get the floss through most of my teeth, some because i can't get the floss through the wire to get to the teeth. I have a dentist appt tomorrow. Maybe they can help or make suggestions. I hate the way my teeth feel after flossing :(

EmilyTravels

#11 Post by EmilyTravels »

You can use floss threaders, which I tried. They work, but take a long time. I have had better luck with P L A T Y P U S flossers for braces, which fit right under the wires and allow me to floss quickly. They weren't all that cheap (I ordered online from the "big A"), but to me the time savings over threaders is well worth the cost.

djspeece

#12 Post by djspeece »

I didn't floss at all for three years -- used interdental brushes dipped in Listerine, which worked fine.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

jfriend33

#13 Post by jfriend33 »

Wow I couldn't fathom Not flossing for 3 years!

Has to be waxed. Spaces are tight. That pre threaded junk is terrible and just gets caught everywhere.

I reused the same threader at least a dozen times each time with clean waxed mint floss.