ClinCheck final results shows flaring out

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chinglnc

ClinCheck final results shows flaring out

#1 Post by chinglnc »

Hello

I had my first ClinCheck today- I've attached a picture of the Start and Finish picture.

You will notice that the 'finish picture' still shows 'overbite' and it's also looking flaring out.

I asked my orthodontist whether I can fix the overbite, he said 'it's fine to have them so that we don't grind your teeth too much'? - which I thought it's a bit strange.
Secondly, I told him the finished teeth looks rather flaring out to me, he said he might be able to bring that in more AFTER the first set.

Can I ask whether this is normal?

I am not sure whether I should go along with the plan, or I should keep revise it until I am happy with it? I am not totally happy with the flaring out and overbite look in the Clincheck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drleonsu

Re: ClinCheck final results shows flaring out

#2 Post by drleonsu »

Hi chingInc,

I don't want to get too clinically involved because that may lead you alter your doctor's treatment, or your commitment to the treatment. Also your doctor may not like someone from an online message board to affect what he's doing...so I'm just going to provide some information for you to consider:

Let's get some terminology down first. Overbite and Overjet. Most people sees teeth sticking out and they refer to it as overbite...but clinically the definition goes like this:
Overbite: how much teeth overlap vertically
Overjet: How much teeth stick out horizontally.

It looks like your concern is the overjet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but lets talk about your case:

Looking at the images I can see that your front teeth have heavy marginal ridges (please google what it is), they make your central teeth much thicker, and have a greater OVERJET. The finished image is actually showing the back of the front teeth contacting the lower teeth, which means you can't get them back anymore. If you wish to reduce the overjet, you either:
1. open the bite more (reduce the OVERBITE), so teeth can move back- it's not very feasible because if the doctor intends to finish your case as shown, the overbite is already pretty shallow.
2. reduce the marginal ridges - By reducing the thickness of the marginal ridges, you would have more room to reduce the Overjet. You will also need some more IPR on the side of the teeth in order to bring the teeth back.

With either way, you can start the treatment first to align your teeth, and take care of it in refinement. You and your doctor need to work that out. You should express what you like to achieve and your doctor will tell you if it's realistic or not. I hope you find this informative.
Leon Su, DDS, MDS
Board Certified Orthodontist
Serving New York and North New Jersey

My posts are strictly personal opinion based on my education and experience. I try to provide objective and unbiased responses in an effort to benefit the public.

chinglnc

#3 Post by chinglnc »

Thank you dreonsu! That's useful. I am learning more and more terminologies as I am going through the process!

I think I have both overbite and overjet....(see pictures) and I also have an 'overlapped' teeth on the lower jaw.

I have Skeletal class I and I was hoping to move back my teeth so that my mouth looks less 'pointy' (or 'mouth-full') . When the ClinCheck shows that my lower teeth will be more 'forward' after the treatment, it worries me as I feel my mouth/face will look even more pointy. My ortho says it's only 5mm more forward which is not visible but it still worries me!

Your advice makes me feel better as I wasn't sure whether I was over-thinking. It's difficult to get alternative opinion for Invisalign treatment and so I am not always sure whether my ortho truly get what I want to achieve. He has the kind of attitude of 'we will fix it when it comes' but I am OCD with planning and would like to make sure I can achieve when I have planned.

Thank you for yor patience dreonsu, your advice on this thread (and other threads) have been really useful- I like your golf example!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DrJasonKTam

#4 Post by DrJasonKTam »

We never show our patients the ClinCheck before they start treatment. The reason is that the ClinCheck is not a representation of how the teeth will look at the end of treatment, but rather a video showing what each tray shape is going to look like. More often than not, the tray shape itself will differ from what the teeth will look like since the movement per tray is not 100% as in the video. Consider a paper clip and trying to bend it straight. If bent so that it is just straight, it will likely not end up so. Hope that helps.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

invizzlerizzle

#5 Post by invizzlerizzle »

my ortho showed my clincheck before so we can make chemistry on what we want and how he can modify it.