Fixed Retainer Removal?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sneed1o1

Fixed Retainer Removal?

#1 Post by sneed1o1 »

Brief history:

This is my second go-around with braces. I've had fixed retainers on top and bottom after my first treatment almost 10 years ago. I now have a different orthodontist, and he only placed one on the bottom due to past tongue thrust issues. I have tried to explain that I didn't want it, but he has been very assertive and placed one on anyway. My issue is that I believe my tongue thrust happened BECAUSE OF the fixed retainer. I believe I developed the habit of rubbing my tongue against the retainer because it was so foreign, and over time it forced my teeth forward. I will have removable metal and clear ones on top and bottom, as well.

My question is has anyone ever gotten their dentist or someone else to remove it? My dentist was also against fixed retainers, so I don't see why he wouldn't remove it because the orthodontist has made it clear that he wants me to wear it! I will receive my retainers on July 20...8 days post removal. My plan is to at least wear it until then so my teeth don't shift dramatically in those 8 days.

BlondeCam

Re: Fixed Retainer Removal?

#2 Post by BlondeCam »

My first round, 25 years ago, I had a fixed bottom retainer. I didn't like it then and don't think I'm going to get one this time either. I always rubbed it with my tongue as well. As a teen the ortho removed it when I broke one side loose chewing on a pen or something we do when we are immature teens. I got the impression from my orthodontists that they don't do many for the adolescent they see if there are any hygiene concerns. Maybe if you tell them you aren't able to floss very well the ortho will reconsider. He can't force them on you. Though I guess he technically already did.

sneed1o1

#3 Post by sneed1o1 »

BlondeCam wrote:My first round, 25 years ago, I had a fixed bottom retainer. I didn't like it then and don't think I'm going to get one this time either. I always rubbed it with my tongue as well. As a teen the ortho removed it when I broke one side loose chewing on a pen or something we do when we are immature teens. I got the impression from my orthodontists that they don't do many for the adolescent they see if there are any hygiene concerns. Maybe if you tell them you aren't able to floss very well the ortho will reconsider. He can't force them on you. Though I guess he technically already did.
I wish my ortho was as understanding as your's! Funny thing is, I discussed this with him MANY times...even at the consultation before I got them placed! My teeth are a little smaller than average, so you're right. I wasn't able to floss very well because of the placement of the wire then and now! I believe as long as I have some kind of a retainer, I should be fine! I honestly felt pressured into getting them against my will, so I'm not sure what approach I should take.

BlondeCam

#4 Post by BlondeCam »

Ultimately the decision is yours! It's your mouth and your teeth. When my ortho and I were talking about retainer options, I asked which he thought would be the best for my specific case. His response, the best retainer is the one the patient is going to wear!!! Lol Makes perfect sense to me. While the permanent obviously takes no patient cooperation, I didn't care for it 25 years ago so said I'm not interested in doing it again although he said I absolutely could if I wanted to. He is giving two sets, both the Essix and Hawley. I preferred the Hawley to the Essix back in the day. It could be different now but I'm glad I'll be able to switch it up. It sounds like once you get your retainers, you're going to have to be really assertive and say you DO NOT want the permanent. I think sometimes we forget they work for us. You hired him! They're the doctor so in a position of power so to speak but in your case, the Doc isn't taking your wants and opinion into consideration.
I AM super lucky to have the nicest Dr. who always asks my opinions. He's terrific!

FlyByNight

#5 Post by FlyByNight »

My ortho told me I would need a permanent upper and lower. I insisted in just getting the clear Essix retainers and luckily he respected my decision.

sneed1o1

#6 Post by sneed1o1 »

BlondeCam wrote:Ultimately the decision is yours! It's your mouth and your teeth. When my ortho and I were talking about retainer options, I asked which he thought would be the best for my specific case. His response, the best retainer is the one the patient is going to wear!!! Lol Makes perfect sense to me. While the permanent obviously takes no patient cooperation, I didn't care for it 25 years ago so said I'm not interested in doing it again although he said I absolutely could if I wanted to. He is giving two sets, both the Essix and Hawley. I preferred the Hawley to the Essix back in the day. It could be different now but I'm glad I'll be able to switch it up. It sounds like once you get your retainers, you're going to have to be really assertive and say you DO NOT want the permanent. I think sometimes we forget they work for us. You hired him! They're the doctor so in a position of power so to speak but in your case, the Doc isn't taking your wants and opinion into consideration.
I AM super lucky to have the nicest Dr. who always asks my opinions. He's terrific!
EXACTLY! I didn't care for it the first time I had one either! I'll also have those other two made, which is why I don't understand the need for the fixed one!! 3 different retainers??? COME ON!! :roll: I believe I will give it until the 20th when I get the two removable ones and ask the orthodontist to remove the fixed one at that appointment. I'm just going to have to grow a spine and tell him! You're so lucky!!

sneed1o1

#7 Post by sneed1o1 »

FlyByNight wrote:My ortho told me I would need a permanent upper and lower. I insisted in just getting the clear Essix retainers and luckily he respected my decision.
I wish! My orthodontist gave me A LOT of pushback every time I voiced my opinion on this. You have very supportive orthodontists!!

FlyByNight

#8 Post by FlyByNight »

sneed1o1 wrote:
FlyByNight wrote:My ortho told me I would need a permanent upper and lower. I insisted in just getting the clear Essix retainers and luckily he respected my decision.
I wish! My orthodontist gave me A LOT of pushback every time I voiced my opinion on this. You have very supportive orthodontists!!
I realize that I made the right decision choosing them. I don't take them for granted. A father and son with 4 locations in the city. Very nice guys. Rykiss orthodontics.

sneed1o1

#9 Post by sneed1o1 »

Here's a picture of the lovely beast :yuck: July 20th can't come fast enough! On the bright side, I get my braces off in 6 days!! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.