Dentist recommended I get braces to fix my newly formed black triangles. Stuck and looking for your advice!

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Patterned919

Dentist recommended I get braces to fix my newly formed black triangles. Stuck and looking for your advice!

#1 Post by Patterned919 »

Hi everyone. I'm 27/m. I recently have had some issues with black triangles appearing. After a few consultations with multiple dentists and a periodontist as well, their opinions have varied from bad bite, bruxism, hard brushing, and gingivitis. I've fixed the latter two. My concerns surround fixing my bite by getting braces. Currently, although I have these new black triangles, they're invisible most of the time due to the small size and whatever mouth juices (sorry for that description) naturally covering it up. I am insecure about them though and worried about them getting worse.

My dentist told me that braces could fix my existing black triangles. However, I keep reading issues of braces creating black triangles and making existing ones worse. Has anyone gone into braces with existing black triangles and left without them? Has anyone had black triangles appear during braces and had them COMPLETELY close up through IPR? All of the examples I've found seem to leave them worse instead of better by the end of treatment, or at best, leave small but visible holes.

I'm really stuck right now and was hoping to get some insight and advice. Seems like my gum issue might get worse regardless of what I do.

Thanks for any help

BlondeCam

Re: Dentist recommended I get braces to fix my newly formed black triangles. Stuck and looking for your advice!

#2 Post by BlondeCam »

Prior to my adult braces, I never had black triangles. This go round at 42, some have been created by my teeth now being super straight. IPR has completely closed these little areas. It's amazing. Good luck

FlyByNight

Re: Dentist recommended I get braces to fix my newly formed black triangles. Stuck and looking for your advice!

#3 Post by FlyByNight »

My teeth are wider at the top then where they enter the gum. Well when they straightened them out, I had some decent sized black triangles. they did ipr, it took a little bit away, but I started to swish coconut oil every few days and the black triangles are maybe a micromillimeter wide now.

Patterned919

#4 Post by Patterned919 »

FlyByNight wrote:My teeth are wider at the top then where they enter the gum. Well when they straightened them out, I had some decent sized black triangles. they did ipr, it took a little bit away, but I started to swish coconut oil every few days and the black triangles are maybe a micromillimeter wide now.
BlondeCam wrote:Prior to my adult braces, I never had black triangles. This go round at 42, some have been created by my teeth now being super straight. IPR has completely closed these little areas. It's amazing. Good luck
Awesome, thanks for sharing your experiences! Can I ask you guys, is the size difference of your teeth noticeable to you at all post-IPR? I was thinking they would have to IPR both sides to kind of balance it out aesthetically? I also have more triangular shaped teeth, so I'm imagining them shaving down one side and it looking really weird if they don't do the other.

BlondeCam

#5 Post by BlondeCam »

No visual difference with the exception of the black triangles closing. My IPR was def very conservative and he did tiny amounts in two week increments and power bands to pull them together. The one thing I noticed was how tight they felt together. Especially my two front teeth. Where I have always been able to force air between them with my tongue to dislodge a piece of wayward black pepper or parsley. :BigGrin: Sounds silly! But now I can barely do so.