Anyone regretting reverse extraction orthodontics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kirti

Anyone regretting reverse extraction orthodontics?

#1 Post by Kirti »

I had four premolar extractions with retraction. After noticing the negative consequences- sunken face, bigger nose, less space for tongue etc, I am thinking about going for reverse extraction orthodontics where they reopen extraction spaces and put implants.
However, I want to be extremely sure about the effects of the treatment. So does anyone think that reverse extraction orthodontics has negative effects?

Synergy91

Re: Anyone regretting reverse extraction orthodontics?

#2 Post by Synergy91 »

Kirti wrote:I had four premolar extractions with retraction. After noticing the negative consequences- sunken face, bigger nose, less space for tongue etc, I am thinking about going for reverse extraction orthodontics where they reopen extraction spaces and put implants.
However, I want to be extremely sure about the effects of the treatment. So does anyone think that reverse extraction orthodontics has negative effects?

I don't regret the procedure but wished I could of done more research before spending large amount of money on.

Kirti

#3 Post by Kirti »

More research as in? About what specific thing? Would you please elaborate?

Thank you,
Kirti

Synergy91

#4 Post by Synergy91 »

Kirti wrote:More research as in? About what specific thing? Would you please elaborate?

Thank you,
Kirti

When I say research I mean look at the different orthodontists that do this procedure. In addition consider what you are trying to fix, because if you had teeth pulled out and you want to implant teeth back inside of your mouth, you are going to need to widen your arches to put those teeth back and make space. If you had teeth pulled already it was because you didn't have enough room or you had little. Either way your teeth are going to flare up when the orthodontist starts pushing teeth for space. However in my case my teeth need to be pushed back and upright.

Nozzelnut

#5 Post by Nozzelnut »

If I had a different strategy of orthodontics growing up, I might not have ended up where I did as an adult. Obstructive sleep apnea, TMJD, nasal breathing problems, poor profile, recessed chin....

Extraction/retraction orthodontics probably didn't cause all of the issues; but they didn't help at all.

I would not recommend extraction orthodontics to anyone. It's easier for the orthodontist; not necessarily better for the patient.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

Kirti

#6 Post by Kirti »