How often do you change your elastics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

katiedominique

How often do you change your elastics?

#1 Post by katiedominique »

I'm wearing elastics full time. And I change them after every meal, so 3 times a day. I think I'm going to run out before my next appointment. Do I change them too much? I feel like they lose their elasticity after a few hours. Thanks!!

FlyByNight

Re: How often do you change your elastics?

#2 Post by FlyByNight »

When I take them out, I always put new ones in. Ortho offices are really good at not giving you enough. Every appointment I would ask for 2 bags and I ended up with a pile of unopened bags at the end of my treatment.

daycard

#3 Post by daycard »

After every meal. If I have 3, 3 times. If I have 5, 5 times. They gave me enough, I have like 1000 haha. Go to your ortho without an appointment and ask for them. I'm sure the recepcionist can give them to you

katiedominique

#4 Post by katiedominique »

Great. Thanks guys. Seems annoying to have to go up there for just a bag of bands. But cheers!!

Lovespain5

#5 Post by Lovespain5 »

Changing them after each meal, that's exactly what I did too.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

Mpkh

#6 Post by Mpkh »

I try to change them whenever I eat/brush. Sometimes I get lazy and don't take them out if what I'm eating doesn't require a lot of chewing or me opening up my mouth real big.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

Gbr45

#7 Post by Gbr45 »

every 3-4 hours is what my ortho told me to do

Sparhawk

#8 Post by Sparhawk »

I used to do it every 6 hours but now i only do it after each meal.

moonbraced

#9 Post by moonbraced »

I just got my braces and elastics on today with my first elastic. The dentist gave me a set of elastics of about 1000 pcs but i somehow managed to lose the pack when I was on my way home sigh.... my dental clinic only opens on Monday. Should I wait till Monday or get a new set tmr?