Bruxism With Retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EWUgal15

Bruxism With Retainers

#1 Post by EWUgal15 »

I'm no stranger to bruxism...I dealt with it for years before braces. I was surprised when my orthodontist told me that it would probably stop with my braces treatment. I was even more shocked when it actually did. But about a month after my braces came off and I started 24x7 retainer wear, I started having pain around my right TMJ. The only thing I could really think was happening was that I was grinding and clenching my teeth at night.

I suppose the good news is that I was wearing two Essix retainers, so I wasn't actually doing any damage to my teeth. And are my teeth really going to move a whole lot when they're snuggled into the little Essix slots? I don't think so. And my orthodontist said everything looked good at my records and retainer check today. I mentioned the joint pain and that I thought maybe I was clenching and grinding again, which the orthodontist said is likely the cause. She also mentioned that the joint looks good on my x-ray and that she doesn't feel any popping, clicking, or grinding when I open and close. She suspects that having two Essix retainers is the culprit, as she's had past patients that have had upper and lower Essix retainers start clenching because of the thickness of the plastic. She decided to have a wraparound Hawley made for me, which I am kind of excited to try. I don't know if I'll have an evaluation after a few weeks or if they'll just wait until my check up in January, but it sounds like there's potential for there to be a night guard in my future...which isn't too different from a retainer, but I didn't find much pain relief from using the one I had before braces.

Anyone else have grinding problems now that they're out of braces?

lambchop

Re: Bruxism With Retainers

#2 Post by lambchop »

I got two different Essix retainers when I got my braces off in April, after almost five years. One was for daytime use....thinner and it seems to go up higher on my front teeth, so to be less obtrusive. The nighttime one is much thicker, and only comes halfway up my incisors, so it's more obvious. I wore them 24-7 for the first 2 months, then I went to nights only, to allow some 'settling' to take place. I was wearing the nighttime retainer, but in the morning, my teeth seemed very wonky...like my bite was open on the left side a bit, and I felt like I had spent the night clenching my teeth. I switched to the daytime retainer at night, and I must say that everything feels much better in the morning, and through the rest of the day. I have another 6 month appointment next month, and will mention this to my ortho, but he seems to trust my judgement on things, so I think I'll continue on this plan. I pop in the night one every once in a while, as they both feel like they fit differently, but I really like the thinner one better. He didn't want to give me a Hawley, as I had a couple of upper extractions, and it took FOREVER to close the gaps and keep them even kind of closed, so he didn't want to take any chances with things opening up again. So far, so good...

Beckett

#3 Post by Beckett »

Not me but my son when he was 11 or so, he's always been a nighttime grinder. He had a limited round of braces and when they gave him an Essix retainer he ground through it in a manner of months. Maybe less. So they switched him to a Hawley with it built up extra thick behind his top front teeth. This prevents his molars from contacting and he can't grind his teeth while he sleeps anymore. He's 17 now and it's still working.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

Azul

#4 Post by Azul »

bojlefjas wrote:My Hawley retainers prevent me from grinding my teeth at night.
Could you please post a pic of your retainers? I am a grinder and will need retainers soon. Thanks!

Azul

#5 Post by Azul »

Thanks for the link. How do they prevent you from grinding? I thought there would be some build up on the front teeth but I dont see it. They seem standard Hawley retainers!

nteff

#6 Post by nteff »

My Hawley retainers keep me from bruising.

nteff

#7 Post by nteff »

Auto correct change my post. My Hawley retainers keep me from bruxing.

jrm

#8 Post by jrm »

I've been wearing a lower Hawley for over 6 yrs now when I sleep and let me tell you it doesn't make me grind or clench my teeth. When I don't wear it I have occasional pain.

drgnchsr36

#9 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Interesting. I find that I clench my teeth more with retainers, but I can't really grind my teeth with the hawley retainers.

BlondeCam

#10 Post by BlondeCam »

This is my second time in braces. My teen adventure I recall clinching my teeth with the essix and grinding through the retainer. My ortho then gave me the Hawley. I'm nervous about being in retainers again. Obviously I was unsuccessful at wearing them as a teen or I wouldn't be back here 25 ish years later. I've discussed my experience with both style retainers with my Doc and he says he is going to give me both sets. I'm sort of anxious about it all. Can I just keep the braces forever? Zero chance of relapse!!!