How much help after double jaw surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

RachF

How much help after double jaw surgery?

#1 Post by RachF »

I am in the process of orthodontics leading towards double jaw surgery and genioplasty some time in the next six months. It's been a long journey and my circumstances have changed to such that I no longer have reliable support for after surgery.

My kids are 12,9 and 5, the older two take little effort to look after and will probably be quite helpful but I wouldn't want them to have to care for me.

Realistic what help am I going to need afterwards?

jaime

Re: How much help after double jaw surgery?

#2 Post by jaime »

Hi RachF,

Hopefully some parents will chime in this thread because I'm not one myself. However, in the 4-5 days right after the surgery, you're going to want/need to rest most of the day. You will be low on energy and likely drooling quite a bit, especially if you bend your neck downwards (which is difficult to do because of all the swelling). I think I drooled for about two weeks? It might be good to prepare some meals ahead of time for your kids so that you won't need to do much in the kitchen for them except basic stuff. I was able to prepare my own food (smoothies, soup, etc), get myself my meds, and bathe (washing my hair was difficult). Bending, looking down, or doing anything tiring is where you're going to need help. You are also probably not going to want to leave the house much, at least in the first week.

Ideally it'd be nice if you had another adult in the house but if that's not possible, hopefully your older two can help you out. For me, I mainly just stared at a TV screen for the first week, getting up every few hours to take more meds, heat up soup, get water, use the washroom, etc.

Also, it's really hard to say how crappy you're going to feel afterwards. As an adult, we don't quite bounce back as fast as teenagers but you know your body, your usual energy levels, tolerance for pain, etc.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

RachF

#3 Post by RachF »

Thanks for your reply! Pre cooking meals is a great idea, lasagne, cottage pie, things that older one can pop in the oven.

I was thinking of sending them to their dad for a week post op which would leave me all alone. I should survive though I am guessing? I will stock up on smoothie ingredients and soup before hand.

So glad to see that you could look after your own meds etc!

Nozzelnut

#4 Post by Nozzelnut »

Sending them with their dad for the week is a good idea. I was able to take care of myself rather well; but I don't think I'd be able to take care of a family in the week following surgery. Days 3-4 are the worst and things start getting better after that. Week 2 you'll have most things figured out; hydration, "meals", activity levels...
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

jaime

#5 Post by jaime »

RachF wrote:Thanks for your reply! Pre cooking meals is a great idea, lasagne, cottage pie, things that older one can pop in the oven.

I was thinking of sending them to their dad for a week post op which would leave me all alone. I should survive though I am guessing? I will stock up on smoothie ingredients and soup before hand.

So glad to see that you could look after your own meds etc!
I agree with Nozzel that being alone would probably be preferable to having kids to take care of.

In my experience, the first week feels like a hangover but not necessarily with the headache.

My only concern is that you might be lonely being alone at home all week, but you know yourself better than I do. If it's something you're used to, it's probably not a big deal to you.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

RachF

#6 Post by RachF »

[quote=My only concern is that you might be lonely being alone at home all week, but you know yourself better than I do. If it's something you're used to, it's probably not a big deal to you.[/quote]

Being lonely is definitely not a problem for me. I prefer my own company and will relish the chance for some peace.