Cant close my mouth naturally after double jaw surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

xProdigy32

Cant close my mouth naturally after double jaw surgery

#1 Post by xProdigy32 »

So I got double jaw surgery and I have a big problem. I cant close my mouth naturally and I hate it cause when Im in the public people will think somethings wrong with me especially cause they dont know that i got surgery. So my question is when will my lips be able to close naturally without me forcing it? Cause I can close my mouth no problem but I would have to force it and its weird. I have somewhat puffy cheeks right now so is that why? And my surgeon told me to do some little lip excercise so i can be able to close my lips faster but idk if its working. Im now 6-7 weeks into post double jaw surgery or almost 1.5 months. Please help i need answers

sirwired

Re: Cant close my mouth naturally after double jaw surgery

#2 Post by sirwired »

At only six weeks post-op, it's too soon to tell what the final result will be; you still have significant swelling left over from the surgery.

What movements were made?

In any case, I went through my entire life before surgery with "lip incompetence" and nobody ever mentioned anything about it.

LunaX

#3 Post by LunaX »

I only had bottom jaw surgery but I had this issue too, it did resolve after at about the 8/10 week period, my omfs said it's due to the muscles having to learn their new position etc, as well as swelling

xProdigy32

#4 Post by xProdigy32 »

[quote="sirwired"]At only six weeks post-op, it's too soon to tell what the final result will be; you still have significant swelling left over from the surgery.

What movements were made?

In any case, I went through my entire life before surgery with "lip incompetence" and nobody ever mentioned anything about it.[/quote]

The only swelling i can feel is my cheeks. I can make almost any movement with my jaws and i could talk pretty well. But my lip incompetence is like 1 cm or something like that

xProdigy32

#5 Post by xProdigy32 »

[quote="LunaX"]I only had bottom jaw surgery but I had this issue too, it did resolve after at about the 8/10 week period, my omfs said it's due to the muscles having to learn their new position etc, as well as swelling[/quote]

Damn hopefully mine resolves as fast as yours

stoyansbg

#6 Post by stoyansbg »

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but my daughter also had a surgery a couple of weeks ago and she too can't close her lips. I know it's only been two weeks, but she is worried. Did your problem resolve? How long did it take?

Thanks!

SLG70

#7 Post by SLG70 »

Hi! I had double jaw surgery in April, and am 9 weeks post-op. I have exactly the same problem. I could not close it pre-surgery and was hoping surgery would correct it. But no :/ I am really beginning to regret the procedure :(

lillllllllli

#8 Post by lillllllllli »

hello
i'm currently 1 week post op and before that i had an underdeveloped upper jaw PLUS a very short upper lip. i was able to close my lips and from time to time i managed to easily do that without actually forcing it like you could imagine it. my doctor said they would bring forth my upper jaw AND bring it a little up so i'd have no gummy smile anymore but in this moment i am really struggling to even force my lips to close. i can barely keep any liquids in my mouth and i'm seriously not sure if swelling has anything to do with that or if they just missed out on bringing my jaw up and somewhat look after my lips and if i'll actually be able to close them. I am super scared right now since my side profile looks just so weird. i have pretty teeth and my jaws fit onto each other perfectly but my lips look so flat from the side and i naturally have mid full lips and i was pretty satisfied with them. i feel so awful right now

Kaylatraisman

#9 Post by Kaylatraisman »

I know it’s been a while since this was posted but I am 3 weeks post double jaw surgery and I have the same thing. Was anyone able to regain full movement in their mouth?

Kaylatraisman

#10 Post by Kaylatraisman »

Along with knowing the reason for this happening?