Are self-ligating brackets worth it?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

claribeary

Are self-ligating brackets worth it?

#1 Post by claribeary »

Hi guys! I’m about to be braced next monday and the current plan is now ceramic on top (thinking of just doing them on the social 6) and traditional metal on the bottom. I’ve called my ortho to enquire about SL brackets and she told me that for the extra cost she doesn’t think it’s worth it. Crazily, it costs an extra $1000 to go self-ligating. I’m thinking if i just do it on the ceramic on top, it’d probably cost $500 extra.

So my question is, for those who have SL brackets, are they worth the extra cost? I am a big fan of the idea of not having to worry about staining, and of course things like shorter treatment time and less discomfort also sound terrific, but I wonder if these claims are really true?

Thanks in advance!

SinkFullOfDinner

Re: Are self-ligating brackets worth it?

#2 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

I have self ligating brackets, but there's no way I would have paid $1k extra for them. It's nice to not worry about staining ligatures, but as soon as your ortho starts using power chains to close gaps or do certain movements, you'll have to concern yourself with those discoloring. So you'll probably need to be careful one way or the other. Pros and cons to every option, and none of them check all the boxes. I'd just go with the ceramic that your ortho works with and recommends, imo. Neither my ortho nor my son's (different places) charged extra for ceramic vs metal, so I still get surprised when I hear orthos charge extra for ceramic brackets. Good luck next week!

kcjawjourney

#3 Post by kcjawjourney »

I have self-ligating brackets ("clear" on top, metal on bottom), but I agree with @sinkfullofdinner...I don't think I'd pay an extra $1,000 for them. This is my second time in braces, and I had traditional metal braces the first time around, and I don't feel as if adjustments are any less painful with self-ligating brackets versus regular ligatures. It was nice at first not to worry about staining, but I've been in upper and lower power chains for months now, and those stain easily anyways, so any advantage is lost.

At the end of the day, braces are braces...and most comes down to personal preference and the preference of your ortho.

The one investment I made that WAS worth the extra $$ was my Acceledent.

Beckett

#4 Post by Beckett »

While mine aren't self ligating, I have ceramic upper and lowers and have never had a single problem with any of my ligs or power chains (which I've had most of the time) staining. I've just stayed away from the clear ones, which I hear are the ones that stain the most. But I also don't drink coffee, tea or wine, and I don't eat curry. Pizza, red sauces...nothing has turned any of my ligs any weird colors. My favorite colors are the smoke, and silver. But I have also tried out red, lavender, and pink for certain holidays.

My ortho is another that does not charge extra for ceramic over metal, but I don't know how much he works with self ligating as I was never given the option. I vaguely remember asking about Damons years ago when my oldest was a young teen and getting ready for brackets but I don't remember exactly what he said. Something along the lines of he doesn't routinely use them, but if I insisted he could accommodate.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

claribeary

#5 Post by claribeary »

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, I figured it doesn't make sense to pay 1k more, especially since i'm guessing powerchains will be in the picture from pretty early on for me. I've got huge gaps from the extractions and I feel like the only thing my top teeth need to be doing is to be moving in. They are pretty straight, save for the overbite. :mrgreen:

Counting down the days till they go on! I'm super excited. :jump:

MrPlenty

#6 Post by MrPlenty »

Self ligating brackets are not worth it. You won't finish treatment any faster.
Ceramic braces are not worth it. They will still be visible as your tooth color and the ceramics will differ.
Ligatures discolor. Powerchains discolor.
Everything that you will try to avoid with conventional braces you will experience with self ligating brackets. The skill of the orthodontist makes the difference not the brackets.

I just removed my self ligating brackets today and now have conventional brackets. Switched orthodontists. Because the last one sucked. No big deal.