Not happy with the result, end of treatment. Ceramics 14months

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tastyolives

Not happy with the result, end of treatment. Ceramics 14months

#1 Post by tastyolives »

Hello everyone,

I am at the end of my treatment (13 months) and I am extremely unhappy with what I have. I am having fixed ceramic braces. I did them for aesthetic reasons, before some of my front teeth were a bit crocked(did not have problems with overbite).

My smile looks ok front facing, but from sides it is strange. I cannot bite with my front teeth, neither they close properly. When I move my lower jaw it cracks every time. I've asked my dentist if there is anything we can do to fix it, he said that he can do 2 teeth extraction to align them, but my upper lip will fall inside my mouth that might damage my overall look. He do also say, that it is normal result of the braces, but I cannot imagine that having gap between my upper and lower jaw will be healthy for me in long run? I do fill like I cannot eat properly anymore.

Can anyone provide me any advice on what should I do? I have booked second opinion with orthodontist in two weeks, but I feel like I need some other opinions to know if this is normal result of braces or me being difficult? My dentist insist it is good result and we should take them off.

3 of them closed mouth and 1 open http://i66.tinypic.com/6p19oi.jpg

Thanks.

damonmyarch

Re: Not happy with the result, end of treatment. Ceramics 14months

#2 Post by damonmyarch »

Your first mistake was not going to an ortho for braces. It looks like you have an overbite, did they put elastics on your brackets to correct it? Maybe a surgery is required though.

sandiego88

#3 Post by sandiego88 »

Go see an orthodontist and get a second opinion before getting them off. Your overbite could probably be fixed by either extracting two top pre-molars or using class2 elastics to pull the top back and bottom forward. I guess it depends on what your teeth looked like before. I had an overbite/ class 2 by half a tooth.

sarzo14

#4 Post by sarzo14 »

I have a similar (over)bite and I'm getting jaw surgery. My ortho and surgeon told me the can't fix ot with elastics and since I have a long upper jaw it's double jaw surgery. But defenetly get a second oppinion because they could fix ot with exteacting some of you teeth and puttong you in elastics to fix yoir bite. I wouldn't be thrilled by the results you have (the teeth are straight, but the bite is not good)

Beemur

#5 Post by Beemur »

Definitely get a second opinion. While your teeth are indeed very beautifully straight, I agree with everyone else saying you just have the overbite. Your dentist or a new orthodontist might be able to just put some elastics on and correct it to the point where it's a more comfortable bite and improves the look of the overbite. It might not end up being the perfect bite, but I think you would definitely be happier with it. It's a shame that your dentist didn't notice that you would benefit from elastics or extractions sooner, I always feel for people who have to follow up on mistakes of their ortho/dentist, with the amount of money you pay you expect to be looked after as best you can be. Good luck, let us know what you decide to do :heart:

Heidirs

#6 Post by Heidirs »

My understanding are that braces are used to not only straighten teeth but to correct bite. If your bite is off, and all your dentist/ortho does is shrug at you, that's not right. I would definitely get a second opinion.

And don't get your braces taken off. They'll cost more to put back on.

BlondeCam

#7 Post by BlondeCam »

I'm going to echo what everyone else is saying, get 2nd opinion before having them removed.